3. The Welcome Wagon

"Allison." Gerard called on her next. "Would you please give a battle assessment."

She nodded slowly before starting. "Now that we know it was a supernatural murder, I think our best plan is to narrow down our suspect list. Find out what specific 'thing' did this and draw up a preimptive strike from there. Cross," She looked to a hunter. "Case the crimescene again. Tim, get into the M.E's office and find out what they know, finger print's, fibers, DNA. Anything. Eliott, begin a search through the Beastiary. Find anything that can shift into someone you know or get into your mind, anything that could have put Kate at a disadvantage in a fight." She bossed everyone around.

The men looked to Chris for permission and he nodded.

"That's impressive." Chris nodded again.

"It seems that Stiles takes after his father." Gerard bragged. "He can break down a century old crime scene. And Allison's quite the orginizer. I've seen her draw up a battle plan in seconds."

"I'm very proud of you two. You've come a long way." The two teens kept straight faces while accepting the praise.

"Just wait until you see them in action." Gerard said. "In fact, maybe they can give you a bit of a demonstration."

"I think." Victoria appeared like smoke. "That they should have some dinner first. It's been a long few days and we could all use a warm meal." She gave a stern look that meant: don't disobey me .

As the rest of the hunters cleared out, the family headed up for dinner. After an awkard dinner of Gerard bragging about Allison and Stiles' studies and Chris trying to change the subject to shut him up they went to their rooms to unpack.

Stiles got the guest room that Kate had used previously before she'd gotten her own place. While he moved around the room he picked up a picture of her from the mantel. And that's when he lost it. He leaned back against the wall and slid down to the floor folding his arms over his knees and forgetting that he was a hunter who wasn't supposed to cry. His eyes burned at the tears but he couldn't stop them. She was gone, the woman who started him on his path to being a hunter was gone and he couldn't change that. He heard a tap on the door and looked over at Allison standing in the doorway.

Her hair was in a lazy updo, the way she wore it when training. She had on some tiny shorts and a large shirt, no shoes or socks.

Without a word she softly padded over to be near him. She sat down on the bed and looked at him. Her face visibly straining to keep strong.

"Hey." She whispered.

He sniffled and tried to straighten up but that didn't work. He fell onto the bed next to her as the tears started again. "I can't believe she's gone." He said as she pulled him into her. Their arms wrapped around each other and they held on. Eventually they were laying in bed but still holding each other. Not in a romantic way but just to help each other grieve. Because they both needed this. They stayed that way until she knew Stiles was asleep and then she headed to her own room to try and sleep.

_______________________

Allison woke late the next morning. When she was with Gerard training they had to be up by five a.m. each morning but now she was home. No doubt it was her mother who made sure that she slept in. The sun was bright and violently attacking her fresh eyes through the curtains. She rolled over and spotted the time on the clock. 9:39.

"Shit!" She exclaimed under her breath as she pushed herself out of bed. Doning a longer pair of pants she made way for the kitchen.

Victoria sat at the table eating breakfast when Allison walked in. The young woman poured herself a glass of orange juice and took a seat across from her mother. "Where is everyone?" Allison asked.