2. Hunters

Chris' heart stung when he said it out loud. He spoke low into the phone. "She's dead, Gerard. Kate's dead."

"Are you sure, Christopher?" Gerard asked back.

"Her body was left outside my house... I'm pretty sure."

"And the cause of death?"

"Her throat was slashed. Claw marks." He said.

"Son of a bitch!" Gerard excliamed. "Do we know who..."

"No."

"What about the Hale pack? They are still in Beacon Hills right?"

"Yeah, but they're a controlled pack. I haven't heard of them doing anything since they turned Scott McCall."

"You know the names of their pack members?"

"I know the names of every werewolf in this county." He said.

"Good, that may come in handy. We'll see you in three days." Gerard said.

"We?" Chris asked.

"Of course, did you not think I would bring the children?"

"You shouldn't. They're not ready."

"No one is ever ready to bury a loved one."

"That's not what I mean. You and I both know what's coming and they aren't ready for that."

"They are more ready than you think, Christopher. They may surprise you yet. Besides, you haven't seen your own daughter in two years."

"It was your idea to began their training at fourteen."

"And what a wonderful idea it was. The two of them have surpassed some of our best hunters. They are a perfect team. I don't mean to sound sappy, but as long as they're together, we have nothing to worry about."

"Fine. But if it goes too far I'll pull them and send them to Vancouver."

"I wouldn't have it any other way." For some reason Chris felt like there was humor in his father's voice when he said that.

"See you in three days."

"Three days." Gerard repeated.

______________________
Three days of greiving, three days of pain, hurt, sadness. It was a bittersweet situation. The two teens were finally returning home, but at the cost of a life. The life of someone dear to them. So yeah bittersweet.
When they arrived it was like a dream, or a nightmare.

Two big black trucks in the driveway. The first truck containing Gerard, his grand daughter, his somewhat adopted grandson, and their driver. Truck two were four other hunters (more like body guards).

They knocked and were met by Chris and his wife. He gave them all a sad smile. Allison half expected him to squeeze her tight but that didn't happen and she understood. Hunters were stone cold, they didn't show affection, that was a rare comodity in their creed. They stepped inside and began to give each other soft and brief hugs.