CHAPTER ONE

He was there, and then he wasn't. The man- no, the thing dressed in black, the one with gleaming ruby eyes, and a treacherous scowl. The crowd gathered around only after Principal Garver fell to the ground, while it stood behind them watching, but it was as if no one saw him, or no one cared to notice.

Maybe it was my imagination. I've seen them since I was a kid. I blame the folk tales grandma used to tell me growing up. They messed with my head. Every time I tried to tell her or anyone that I saw things, things that should only be seen in nightmares, my mouth refused to push the words out, like if I told I'd be punished.

"Excuse me, Ms. Mcguire."

Brad Cooper, star quarterback of Ruby Falls High School football team raises his hand. He sits in the back with some of his teammates, Josh Hammond, and Charlie Walsh. All three sporting their red and black champion jackets from last fall.

"Yes, Brad."

"Um - is Principal Garver dead?"

Flashes of light beam into the classroom. The siren of the ambulance swirling around in my head. I'm half-listening, half-not. Most of my attention is focused on the spot where the man stood only moments ago but is no longer.

The students in the five rows of seats in front of me all stare. There are twenty of them, all with curious frowns on their young faces.

"I don't know, but we should focus our attention back to our schoolwork. So, let's try, shall we?"

Brad shrugs. He's a good student, mostly A's and some B's, but sometimes with the three of them in my class they can get rowdy and stray off-topic. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss what happened, but since we don't know details, it would be best to leave it.

"Founders Day," I say, turning my attention back to the room.

They all look, but their minds have wandered.

"Ruby Creek has been known for many things. Like our quiet and peaceful hiking trails, having the best B&B within a fifty-mile radius, the sense of community, our yearly festivals, and so much more. I want you each to write a two-page essay on what Ruby Creek means to you."

The groans begin before I can even finish my sentence. The three in the back roll their eyes, kick back in their seat, and quietly throw their tantrums. There are a few students already jotting down the task in notebooks, and some stare blankly at me as if I've lost my mind.

Founders Day wasn't a day that I particularly enjoyed. The festivities were fun for the most part, and any squalls or fights with neighbors seemed to settle for at least a month leading up to it as everyone worked together to create a week of joy and celebration. Only, deep down the stories of the past mixed with folk tales of horrific monsters never sat well with me as a kid - in fact, they still don't.

"Ms. Mcguire?"

It's Brad again.

"Mr. Cooper, please tell me you have something important to add to the discussion. And no, no extensions, the essay is due Friday."

He runs a hand over his round shaved head and purses his lips. "Can we write about the nightwalkers?"

My blood runs as cold as death through my veins. Leaning against the wooden desk behind me for support, I grip the edges to keep myself from showing fear. I worry my face is already conveying that to them.

"You can write about whatever you want, as long as it's tasteful and truthful. While our folk tales are strongly believed in, we need to look at the FACTS surrounding them, so make sure you do your research."