Chapter 17

Ben's POV:

When I wake up again, I see everyone around me. Some of them are unconscious, while others are glaring at Christopher, who is in the center of the room. Joshua, Mike, and Dane stand with him. It's like he is teasing us now.

"Where am I?" Alexander says as he wakes up.

Christopher rolls his eyes. "See what I mean." He says to the guards surrounding him. "There is no way he is better than me."

"He is better than you." I tell him.

Christopher turns to me, glaring. "Don't you talk. You are just like him. Clever, but unable to actually do anything. You have made Erica weaker. You shouldn't even be in the academy. You only steal the credit from the one who does the work. You are lucky that Erica has too much focus on her morals, as she would have probably joined the bad side years ago."

I don't have the words to respond. I didn't think that I was like Alexander, but the signs were all there. I am just heavy weight. The only thing I can do is figure out what the bad guys are doing. I do bring Erica down and get the credit for doing things that I can't do.

"No." I hear Erica say. "Ben is much more than you will ever be. Maybe he isn't as strong as you. Maybe he fights like a fly, but he is smart. But he is also smart emotionally. He brought this group of amazing people together. He has made me stronger. He helped me remember that it was okay to feel emotions. To love."

I don't know what to do. I'm speechless. Did Erica just admit that she liked me at one point?

"Oh, Erica darling. You should have learned by now. Emotions just make things worse." Christopher responds.

Before he can say anything else to try to change Erica's POV, I keep going with what I was originally going to say. "And Alexander is better than you are too. He is working on becoming a better spy. But he is a better person than you. You joined the dark side, ruined your family's life, and just are a terrible person. Your plan to take over the world just makes you worse."

"That's not my plan. I'm going to take over the CIA and make them fools. The United States will be conquered by other countries and my brother and father will take all the blame. How would I take over the world?"

None of us decide to respond to that. If he didn't realize the power he had, let's not explain it to him.

"Well, this is how I will control the CIA." Christopher says, pulling a remote out of his pocket.

"That?" Erica asks.

"Yes."

She smirks, then lunges at Christopher. The remote goes flying out of his hand, and surprisingly, Joshua picks it up.

"Ugh. Will I actually have to save you guys." Joshua says. At first my heart sours, but then it falls as he walks towards Christopher.

Christopher smirks. "Surprise! We never activated the injection in him."

Erica's face falls as she starts to understand what's going on.

"Yes Erica." Christopher says with a small laugh. "Your SPYDER friends have been working for us the entire time."

This time it's Joshua's turn to smirk. "Well, about that."