Summer's Cold

It's the summers after the war is over, a great day when the sun shines brightly and invite anyone to enjoy its warmth but for three children in the luxurious villa inside the cave, it's a bad day.

"Achoo... Sniffle"

"nghh... cough, cough..."

"... I'm great and mighty – Achoo... ngghh... this is nothing... "

"yes, yes, just go back to sleep, Raon"

Cale sighed with the sight of three children, one dragon and two cat beastman, now lying on the bed after lunch with a blanket covering them. He was surprised when waking up with the sound of sneeze and cough around him in the morning and finding three children lay weakly with fever. Cale immediately calls for Ron and Eruhaben, since he's not sure if he can call a doctor to Super Rock Villa to find a cure for a dragon and two cat beastman. Eruhaben was clicking his tongue when said that the children just had a common cold, they will recover with medicine and enough rest so now Cale is stuck on nursing them since morning with Ron.

Choi Han and Lock were informed by Eruhaben then come to visit after breakfast but Cale sent them out for taking care of the wolves children, it'll be bad if they also get caught. Eruhaben call him unlucky again and Ron gave him a benign smile after that but Cale didn't have time to care. The children didn't have much appetite during breakfast and lunch so Cale let them eat as much as they can and make them drink enough water at every chance he get. He also makes sure the children take their medicine before tucking them back to bed.

His hand is patting the young dragon back who pouted but still leaning on his touch.

"I have enough sleep, Human! I'm bored – Achoo!"

"You're not allowed to go anywhere until your cold is completely gone"

"But I'm bored!"

Raon swung his tail weakly, tapping it into the bed and fluttering his blanket. Cale frown on the willful child but still pats him as if telling the young dragon to calm down

"It's a patient's job is to rest and get better so you must sleep now, On and Hong are already back to sleep"

"No – Achoo!"

Raon sneezing and sniffling again, Cale sighed then reach for a book on the table beside the bed. It was a novel that Cale read last night before sleep

"Do you want to read a book before sleep?"

"Human, you read it for me!"

"Why?"

"I don't want to read it myself so read it for me!"

'Aigoo'

The red-haired man frown at the young dragon request, the book is not suitable for a bedtime story and he never tells a story to children. Raon patting his paw to Cale's thigh

"Human, read it!"

"Fine, but I'm not good with this so don't complaint"

Cale reluctantly agree then started to read the book out loud. His voice was stiff but for Raon, his human voice is like a lullaby that makes him feel safe. In a few minutes, the young dragon was already off to the dreamland, leaving the human who put the book back on the table before moving to another side of the bed for checking on two other patients.

Both On and Hong seems more comfortable in their human form when they are sick, Cale could see their pale faces. Hong complexion was getting better with his fever going down but still sneezing from time to time while sleeping. He checks the red-haired child temperature once more before shifting to the most concerning the patient in this room, the silver-haired On. Her fever was the highest, while her sneeze was not as loud as her siblings, she coughs a lot. Cale pats her back when she coughs again, her temperature were lower than this morning but still high enough to make her body shiver so he warp On body with the blanket carefully.

Eruhaben said that the cold might be gone after a day or two since the children have a strong body, he even tease Raon by saying that he's still a kid for catching a cold, before giving them medicine. Even so, the ancient dragon still comes to check them from time to time. Cale know that the children will be fine but still watching them attentively, it couldn't be helped since he's the children's guardian.

Cale wipes the sweat at On's face with a wet towel when he sees her eyes fluttering open. Her golden eyes seem unfocused from the fever and sleepiness as she unconsciously grabs Cale's hand then snuggles on his palm. This gesture surprised Cale because On was always calm and mature, reminding him once more that she was still a child when he heard a quiet mumble from her

"... mom... dad..."

It was faint but full of longing that made Cale frown. On were just ten years old when she run away from the Fog Cats tribe with her brother and protecting him, she didn't have anyone to lean on for a long time so it is understandable that she still longing for her parents. For some reason, Cale feels really annoyed and want to smack those cats from the Fog Cats tribe again.

On still snuggling on his palm before letting out a painful cough. Cale moves his hand into a more comfortable position then stroke her forehead with his thumb gently, On let out a contented sigh before sleeping more peacefully. He didn't move from that position for a few minutes until he heard a soft knock from Ron who brought fresh towels and lemonade for Cale.

That night, Cale was relieved when the children look better and have more appetite for dinner. Ron persuades his young master to take some rest in another room but he wants to make sure that the children really recovered. Cale knows that with the Vitality of Heart, he has a lower chance to get sick and, if he manages to get caught, he will recover faster. The ancient power also maintains his body condition so he only needs two or three hours of sleep to feel refreshed again so that's why he planning to continue nursing them this night. Somehow, Ron smile was getting scarier, almost making Cale curl up in fear but the butler left his young master alone after saying to call him if he need anything, Cale answered with a nod.

"Human! Wake up! It's morning!"

"It's morning nyaa~"

"Good Morning nyaa~"

Cale wakes up from the children loud chatter, it seems he falls asleep on the chair beside the bed. Raon and the kittens settle themselves on his lap.

"yes, yes, I'm awake"

Cale grumbles with his stoic face but his hand and eyes move to check on both kittens and the young dragon. They snuggle on his hands while staring at the cold gaze that slowly become warmer when he didn't find anything out of ordinary. Three of them also do not miss the small relieved smile on their father face, not that they admit it aloud.

"Human, let's have breakfast! I will tell Beacrox to cook your favourites and lots of apple pies!"

"I'll give my dessert to you Nya~"

"I'm starving Nya~"

The children jumped out from Cale lap, who stretched his aching body from sleeping on the chair. Honestly, he wants to sleep some more and sprawled in bed but Raon already pushes him from the back while the kittens turn into human form and pull Cale hands to the dining room. Despite his complaint, Cale knows that today will be another peaceful day.

*************************************************************************************

TN: I keep getting bad news from my friends and relatives lately :') Stay safe!

Enjoy!