Chapter 6: Escape from Lumiose City

Serena tried to steady her hands while packing a bag with clothes and other essentials. She tried to take her mind off Ash and her father, who'd yet to return from their campaign.

"Fen." Fennkin said while stroking her soft head against Serena's hand. Feeling the fire fox's warm fur offered the Princess a little comfort, but not much.

"Serena, what do you think? Should I bring the Laverre or Santalune style dress?" Shauna asked while holding both up.

"Eh? Oh, uhhh well-" Serena muttered, not truly paying attention.

"You should bring the Santalune city one! You could get a new one in Laverre city when we visit!" Bonnie shouted.

"Ahhh! Wonderful idea, Bonnie!" Shauna resumed packing when she noticed Serena hadn't even gotten half her things prepared.

"Serena now's not the time for slacking! Ash and Red could be back any day now, and then we'll be on our way!" Shauna muttered impatiently.

"Oui." Shauna and Bonnie both heard the unmistakable fear in Serena's voice and saw the same in her expression.

"Serena, you can't seriously be afraid something might happen to them?"

"Shauna, they went to war!" Serena countered, her fear for Ash and Alexandre exacerbating her anger.

"Serena, you're father is the greatest field commander in generations! Kalos has never lost a conflict since he became King. There's no way this Galar King stands a chance against him and our army! As for Ash and Red, they'll be right beside your father, and that's probably the safest place."

Serena slowly nodded. Everything she said was true, but Serena always feared for her loved ones when they went off to war.

"My brother probably won't go anywhere near the actual fighting. He'll lose out on a chance for glory, again." Bonnie sighed.

"Bonnie, he doesn't have to fight to achieve glory." Shauna giggled while patting the little girl's head.

"But Ash, Red, and Lucas will! They'll all probably take a dozen Galar knights prisoner and ransom them for a fortune while my brother tries to build another of his inventions."

Serena finally joined Shauna in the giggling. She'd hoped to talk to her mother about such anxious thoughts, but Queen Grace left for Santalune City with Countess Viola two days earlier and hadn't returned.

"Serena, just relax! Don't think about what might happen to Ash and the King! Focus on our journey! All those performances!" Shauna said while placing a hand on the Princess's shoulders.

Serena slowly nodded and resumed packing, placing another dress in her back beside a large sack filled with livres.

"So, where are we going to visit first?" Bonnie asked while stroking Dedenne.

"Well-" Serena started.

"Ahhhh!!!!"

"They're coming!!!!"

"Secure the gates!"

"Eh?" Serena, Shauna, and Bonnie heard a series of panicked screams from outside. Walking over to the window, they saw the few remaining guards scrambling about as if on fire while groomsman and other servants did the same.

"What's happening?" Shauna asked.

Serena's heart raced, and she listened closer before realizing that the screams came from the city itself. Smoke began to rise in the distance, with mixed sounds of terror echoing closer and closer.