Chapter Forty-three- Devolution

Silence fell over the crowd like a plague. No one moved. The angels were rock still. They wouldn't attack him. They knew the moment he saw a pair of wings flutter, it would be bye-bye Saviour.

The demons' hungry eyes goaded him on silently.

This is the big moment, he thought bitterly. Might even get a promotion for this, damning humanity and all.

He didn't want to do this. Killing goblins and vampires was one thing, but killing children? It was evil. Pure, white-hot evil. As evil as all the creatures he spent every moment hating. Krugo, Ammelius, Dr Lacere.

The Devil.

He'd never pretended to be a brave man. But this was the epitome of cowardice. Killing someone who can't hope to defend himself to save your own skin. It was more than cowardice. It was devolution. He was a bottom feeder, a sewer rat. Drinking up the misfortune of others to keep himself in this world one more miserable moment longer.

He was nothing.

He looked down at the child. It stared back at him with big, wide eyes. Smiled and tried to grab his hair.

But by being nothing, you survived. Good people killed bad people, bad people killed good people. The only way you could stay on top of it all was by being sneaky, doing enough favours for each side that they think you're the same as them. The smart, the humanitarians, the dictators, the democrats, they all died out. It was the devolved who lived on.

His eyes drifted across the crowds', fell on the angel who had found him at the hospital, who had started all of this.

The angel whispered something, but he might as well have shouted it.

"Please," the angel said.

Ingleseid plunged the knife down.