Chapter 4

"I can't believe you've never done this?"

"I have a job."

"I know, but this is a must see, and you grew up here."

"It's not like I haven't seen it, I used to work the scene when I was in uniform."

"And after?"

"I usually volunteered to be on call so the other detectives could be with their families. Plus, I'd have been an idiot to pass up the triple time."

"Oh, so I have the new Captain and her overtime budget cutting obsession to thank for getting to spend New Year's Eve in Times Square with my beautiful wife?"

"Seriously, what's that about? It's not like murderers only kill Monday thru Friday between the hours of eight and five."

"Hey, I for one am grateful. It makes my life a lot easier knowing you are getting a good night sleep at least three or four nights a week. Plus, I don't think you need to worry about triple time anymore." Rick felt her stiffen and quickly replayed his remark in his head trying to decipher what she heard compared to what he actually said.

"Oh, I'm sorry I make your life so difficult and thank you so much for supporting my extravagant lifestyle." Kate huffed and struggled against his embrace.

Rick turned his wife in his arms. They were standing on one of the balconies of his publishing company's upscale high-rise. It was where he and Alexis always watched the New Year's Eve ball drop and subsequent fireworks. It allowed them to be in the center of the action without having to fight the maddening and deafening crowd below. It also allowed them shelter from the bitter temperatures having only to emerge from the building minutes before the ball was to drop. Even in the darkness he could see the flash of anger in her eyes. Rick had spent the last few days learning to walk the tightrope between making Kate furious and making her cry. He often found himself wishing for the uncontrollable laughter that had been present on Christmas Eve. Even their usual banter often ended in flared tempers and hurtful words.

"Forgive me for wanting you to get enough rest so that you feel good. Oh wait, and for having enough money to provide us with a comfortable life." He didn't let her go.

Even with angry words between them her comfort was his utmost priority and his body was the only thing blocking the winter wind from hers.

"If this is how you're going to be the whole time, than I'm not sure this baby thing was such a good idea."

She forcibly removed his arms from her shoulders and stalked into the adjacent office. Stunned, Rick staggered forward and gripped the railing. Her words stung more than the icy needles pounding his face with each gust of wind. He knew she didn't mean them, but telling her that right now would only make things worse. He closed his eyes and took deep breaths. He needed to gain his composure. She needed some space and he needed to get control over his anger before he made the situation worse. He didn't raise his head even as he heard the words they had waited all evening to hear.

Ten... nine... eight... seven... six...

Kate slammed the door behind her, leaving him to pout alone. He had done nothing but hover over her for the last week. She couldn't turn around without him being there. He was constantly telling her to sit down or go take a nap, and the food. Did he think she was having a litter? He had stuffed enough food in her to feed a small army. She felt like she couldn't breathe around him. She sat in the nearest chair she could find and hung her head in her hands. She hardly heard the commotion beyond the glass.

Five... four... three... two... one...

Suddenly Rick spun around and headed for the sliding door that separated them. Hurtful words or not, he loved her and would choose a lifetime of her wrath over being separated from her, even if for just a few minutes. He grabbed the handle and released his anger with one last forceful breath before sliding the glass open.