Chapter 3~ The Nearing Darkness

Kari gasped. Moments before, she had been regretting her choice to enter the forest. But now, she was quite happy about her choice. Well, she thought, might as well investigate Mister Glittery House over there.

As Kari approached the house, she noticed the house radiated a kind of promise to be interesting or important. When she noticed this, Kari did not become warier, as she should have, but became progressively more and more determined to investigate the house. Come, come, come, it called to her. Come, come.

Not thinking, Kari continued toward the house. Come, come, come!

The house became more and more insistent. Come come come come come comecomecome! It called and called for Kari. COME COME COME!

Then, as if waking up after being long asleep, Kari snapped out of it. She gasped, taking in a huge breath of air, and collapsed on the frosty grass. Kari lay there for a moment, then realized she was in the clearing with the creepy frost house. She scrambled to her feet and did a sort of stumble-crawl-walk thing to the edge of the clearing.

Collapsing on the soft pine needle-covered ground, Kari thought about what had just happened while she waited for her legs to stop shaking.

What if the house is important? What if the house of ice is the reason for the Cold? Kari wondered. She had begun to think of the house as a person and decided to start calling it the House of Ice.

Kari lay there on the frosted grass for hours at the edge of the clearing, examining the house from afar and thinking about what had happened and her family's legacy.

Before long, it started to get dark. The wind picked up. Kari noticed what time it was when the night was pitch-black and clouds let peeks of glittering stars show.

She sat up with a gasp. It was probably past dinner and her stomach was growling like an irritated hound. I better get away from the House of Ice. Something creepy is probably about and I don't want to meet it. She thought.

Standing up, Kari glanced around, looking for the path that brought her there.

She looked for what must have been hours, becoming more and more frantic as the minutes ticked by. The night was dark and deep by the time Kari had decided what happened with the trail.

The footpath had disappeared. Kari was stranded.