Chapter 5~ The Pulsing Light

The Man of Frost sighed. "I suppose we can work something out," he said somberly. "Follow me," he continued, "I will show you why I must keep it cold here."

As the Man of Frost led the way through a subterranean passage of pure ice, Kari shivered. She didn't like the look of this gloomy, slippery tunnel. However, the Man of Frost seemed completely at home among the ice, never slipping once.

After about an hour, Kari began to panic. Where is this creepy fellow taking me? She thought. The passage rapidly sloped downwards, not at all helping Kari's shaking legs and racing thoughts. As Kari peered over the Man of Frost's shoulder, she saw a pulsing light. Although it unnerved her, a light this deep into the earth, it was comforting to not be in the pitch black.

As the two neared the pulsing light, Kari noticed that the temperature, already frigid, had dropped lower. It's at least -25 down here! Kari noted with a shiver. "We're here," the Man of Ice called over his shoulder. Encouraged, Kari started walking faster, eager to get this over with. However, walking faster was not a good idea, for the ground was ice. She slipped and hit the ice with a dull thunk. Scrambling to her feet, Kari continued onwards, toward the pulsing light. 

hehe >(._.)< axolotl

As Kari stepped inside the cave, she was blinded. By the glitters of light sparking off the ice walls, and by the glowing crystal that sat before her. As Kari gathered her senses, she saw that the circular cave was small, only ten feet wide. The Man of Ice stood by the pulsing crystal, silhouetted by the light. "What-" Kari began, then stopped short when the Man of Ice whirled about to glare at her. His eyes glowed blue, not the light blue of the sky but a dark blue, like the icy depths of an Arctic ocean. 

Kari backed up, raising her hands as if to say, I won't hurt you. I have nothing to do with this. 

The Man of Frost, seeming to be in a sort of trance, seized Kari's hands and thrust them against the ice in a frozen grip. Shackles of ice began to wrap around her wrists. "No!" She cried, panicked. Chills spread through Kari's arms, chilling her to the bone. She tried to kick the Man of Frost but found that her feet had their very own ice- shackles now.

Then all went black.

Man of Frost's POV:

My hands are not mine. My hands would never do that. My hands would never imprison a little child of warm. My hands would never commit the evils that now lurk in my memories, poisoning my mind. 

My hands are not my own.

Kari's POV:

My eyes fly open. The Man of Ice is no longer in the cavern. 

Everything hurts. It feels like ice running in my veins. Which it probably is, considering that the ice from my shackles has now spread to claim my arms and legs. My neck is crusted with ice, and I swing it back and forth, hoping that I will not be stuck in ice forever.