Dead Men Tell No Tales

Ringing. That’s all Warner could hear as he lay on the upturned ground. The high pitched noise dug into his skull as he gritted his teeth. He was dead. Eyelids that felt glued together parted with some effort. The world swirled around him in a chaos of blurs. Must be traveling to his forever resting destination. For no one could have survived a mine explosion. Warner was the one to detonate it. The poor boy had not a chance of survival. Would I go to heaven or hell? Was his thought. Will I be missed? Most likely not. With no friends nor family but his sister who hated what he was, there was no one to care. No one to hold a funeral. No one to stare at his grave years in the future and sigh with longing just to say, he was a good man. Not one tear to be shed at his memory.

The moonlight graced the boy’s wound scattered body. As if God himself was calling Warner home. Then he did something he had not done in a long time. He smiled. A true warm-hearted smile. One you would give when you held a puppy or bought home your first car.

Tingles shot through his battered form. A groan accompanying the sensation. And in that moment he had one last request that would never be full filed. He asked God to leave his memory behind. That he not be forgotten. His mind drifted to Marie-Laure. The pretty blind girl he saved from the crazed officer. Was he real to her or a faint of imagination? They barely spent a day with one another. Maybe her mind played games, whispering at the reminder of that day, that it was all a dream, made up to keep her from being lonely. Just a story in her head. Then again just maybe she didn’t remember at all. For dead men tell no tales.