Ch. 1

Her hair falls in unattractive waves of flushed red and split ends precisely peak out of her hairband as she throws the vintage scarf on the counter. The store is silent beneath the flickering iridescent lights and the only noise comes from the slamming of the scarf upon the glass counter.

"This is the third time I have told you to ring this up correctly. The exact same scarf that I have in my hand is cheaper than the one I am interested in. I don't understand why you can't just price match?"

The older lady speaks not only in a manner of frustration or annoyance, but privilege is laced within her tone. Annalise does not stare at the woman, but instead her eyes cling to the ticking of the time on the left hand corner of her computer screen. The register has malfunctioned again, and even if it were working she would never allow this lady to get her way.

Her name is June and she comes in regularly as she piles her cart full of name brand items, knock off coach bags, glassware that she claims is from the depression era, and sometimes Annalise is unlucky enough to have to wait on her.

"I have over 800 followers who would love to see the injustice I am experiencing right now. No one will show up at this Goodwill location once I post this. I hope you know that" June grunts as she pulls out her iphone to record Annalise who is fed up beyond what is humanly possible, but also fearful of confrontation.

"sally to the register please, sally to the register"

Annalise's voice echoes over the intercom as her elderly manager makes her way through the swinging double doors that lead to the dungeon.

It is not a dungeon by any means, but if thrift stores had dungeons they would look like moldy crevices stuffed with large plastic containers full of musty clothing that is wrinkled into tiny mounds. The dungeon is where thrifted items and clothing lands to be processed and tagged. There is a misconception that there are washers and dryers in the back of the store, but that would be way too expensive. This Goodwill could hardly afford to stay open let alone afford a gigantic water bill.

sally stares at Annalise while leaning on the glass counter with one hand attached to her hip. Her glare is threatening, and Annalise hates working with her for a few reasons. The first reason being she is scary, the second being she never does her job and oftentimes leaves Annalise alone at the register to handle all situational issues even though her pay rate is only seven dollars an hour before tax.

"This customer would like to know if you could lower the price on the scarf so it can match the price that is marked on the identical one" Annalise says with a stammer in her voice.

sally snatches the scarves in an unamused manner as she stares at the different colored material in each hand.

"You do realize the higher priced scarf is new right? The original tag is still on here and that is why the price is higher. I will not lower the price."

"This is absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe this. I spend so much money at this store. You know what? I don't want any of my items" June says with an exasperated sigh as she stomps her feet outside of the broken glass door that separates the chilly outside from the heated store.

"Everyone always wants something for less. Does she really not have 4 dollars?" sally says with her raspy voice that seems exerted from her constant smoking habit. Annalise would oftentimes call sally to the register but she would take forever to come up because she was always outside smoking which meant she couldn't hear the intercom.

Part of Annalise felt bad for her old manager because of her past cancer diagnosis. sally beat cancer but the remnants still haunt her frail body. The worn out beige conductor hat basically lives on her head to hide her hair loss. This is Annalise's first job so she tries her best not to get on sally's bad side even though she does have anger issues and takes it out on Annalise at the end of the day when it is time to count down the cash drawer. Annalise prefers her younger manager, Roy, who she has been crushing on since she started.