The Guild

"So

   "So. . ."  Ellenora began but was stopped short by her father's halting hand, as he finished writing in a ledger at his work desk.
    Claudia Hodgins lay his fountain pen nip back in the ink well and leaned back in his chair.  "I already know." he said to his eldest child, her very expression the spitting image of her mother. 
     "Know what?" she asked.
     "Your curiosity concerning Mr. Hollenburg." he answered, "Shouldn't be much fuss, actually.  He needed studio space and we had it.  Probably won't see too much of him at all. Scribes like him keep to themselves for the most part."
      "He's a scribe, too? Like a. . .Doll?" Ellenora asked, bunching her brows. "Never heard of a male Auto Memory Doll."
       "Because there are none." Claudia answered simply, "No, he's a specialized scribe of contracts."
        "Contracts. . . Like business contracts?  How very dull."
      "Well, depends on what you call 'Business'. Alliance contracts are still considered business. Royal birth certificates AND death certificates are still types of business. Marriage licenses, as well."
         "But, there's all sorts of artist supplies and parchment, and. . ."
         "Were you snooping?"
        "No!" Ellenora defended herself, "Mother made a basket of food for him to keep up there, so he'd not starve."
         Claudia rolled his eyes. "Of course, she did."
        "And I took it up. That's all."
       "Ah. Well, the parchment and the special paint is to embellish, to be a work of art as well as a binding contract."
        "Oh! Sounds expensive."
       "Oooohhhh yes. That's why only kingdoms have them commissioned."
        "So, he's here because of a commission?"
       "More than one, I suspect."
       "Wow. . ." Ellenora said, wide-eyed, "Are there many people who are commissioned for such things?"
        "No. Scribes of such contracts are part of a guild. And there is only one known guild, and the only school of study is through the Justitia Observatory in Astrea."
         Ellenora thought of the spyglass at the windows and the star chart scrolls on the table.
"But what would stars have to do with drawing up contracts?"
      Claudia shrugged. "Tradition. Superstition. Belief that the stars guide all things, like births, deaths, everything."
      "Mr. Hollenburg just doesn't look like he had been a student at some crumbling old observatory."
       "Doesn't, does he?"  Claudia mused, "Well, there have been those times in the past that being a contract scribe was a dangerous job. One did not go about announcing it."
         "Why?"
         "It's said that if a contract is done by a scholar of contract scribing, then the contract is the most solid of contracts. Breeching it is catastrophic, so if an alliance is made and drawn up in such a contract, there is no turning back. And woe be unto anyone who tries.  Contract scribes have been known to be hunted and assassinated, just for being commissioned for a contract somebody doesn't want."
"Gracious!" Ellenora exclaimed. "Does Mother know all of this?"
"Do you really think I would survive it if I caught her off guard with something like this?"
Ellenora smiled and shook her head, knowing full well that he certainly would not.
           The best part about dinner was the fact that it took place after Randy's bedtime. Without a child of five around demanding all the attention, these late meals tended to be more of an adult affair that Ellenora was allowed to stay up for. 
     For this evening, Ellenora decided to wear her cutest of dresses but nothing too flamboyant, of course. One did not want to draw so much attention.
Mr. Hollenburg presented himself just before 8, as Ellenora instructed. He did not don his waistcoat due to the balmy weather, but instead a vest concealing his suspenders. A chain dangled from out of the small pocket on the right side, leading to a pocket watch, surely. The bow tie still remained absent and the collar still open. He was casual, comfortable and, yet, aware of manners, for in one arm he cradled a bottle of Ecarte wine.
"But, this was to be yours to enjoy!" lamented Cattleya, accepting the gift she had already given to him.
"If you'll forgive me, Mrs. Hodgins, I have an entire bottle for myself still up there. This one, I wish to enjoy with your lovely family."
"Here! Here!" clapped Benedict as he and Iris Cannery entered in, "I'm fond of you already, Mr. Hollenburg!" Slapping Petrich on the back. "Don't just stand there, Kitty Catt, pour us a glass!"
Cattleya's eyes narrowed. "I best get a couple more bottles from the cellar, then."
The dinner was divine with plate upon plate of shareable strips of seasoned beef, chicken and vegetables with every sauce imaginable. And the three bottles of wine turned into, well, several.
Ellenora expected more questions put to Mr. Hollenburg, but it seemed those who were present were already quite educated of Mr. Hollenburg's task. Adults could be sneaky like that at times. But Iris seemed to be just as ignorant of this man as she herself was, which was good. Iris wasn't afraid to ask ANYTHING, especially after nearly three glasses of alcohol.
"And is there a Mrs. Hollenburg?" Iris asked pointedly, at which Ellenora stiffened and held her breath. Don't be married. Don't belong to somebody somewhere out there. Be devoted to your art and your stars. . Please. . . Please.
"No. The guild discourages it." Mr. Hollenburg answered without any detected bitterness.
"Understandable, of course, and a noble sacrifice," Cattleya replied.
"The war was not too awfully far in the past, as you all well know. Although I was just a young boy at the time, I had already started my calligraphy studies. Our masters did not shy away from telling us the fates of a scribe's wife and children caught in the middle of a contract breech, particularly between feuding parties."
          All the adults at the table had indeed lived the war.  They understood there was no shortage of suffering humans could inflict on one another in such times.  Cattleya and Benedict glanced across the table at each other grimly. 
          Claudia spoke first. "A tough life."
          Mr. Hollenburg relaxed back in his chair, and nodded to the offer of more wine. "Nothing compared to soldiering, Mr. Hodgins.  And there are perks. My work is displayed in some very fine palaces.  I am always allowed to view them as I please.  I tend to be invited to weddings I have contracted. Although those can be a bit dicey.  I've gotten into a scrape or two over weddings, usually with disgruntled jilted suitors."  He then smiled, as Claudia and Benedict laughed heartily. 
         "And the pay?" Benedict wanted to know.
         "Handsome." Mr. Hollenburg replied frankly.  "But the work is painstaking.  I've been commissioned for two contracts for the next six months. Between the design and the actual painting, I'll need to work diligently."
        "Well, no matter what, you will NOT be permitted to starve yourself nor deprive yourself rest, Mr. Hollenburg." Cattleya demanded.
        Mr. Hollenburg looked over to Ellenora, and grinned. "Ellenora said you feared for my well being.  I promise I'll do my best to stay fit and healthy.  Although, I make it a habit to eat light once I start working. I tend to keep up my stamina on just a morning meal and afternoon tea."
       Cattleya wanted to counter but then did not. "Very well, Mr. Hollenburg. You are our honored guest. . . Not one of my children."
      "And an adult, Catt," Benedict added, "Don't forget. A full grown adult man."
       "Yes, those who sometimes need taken care of the most!" Cattleya retorted.
       Ellenora listened carefully from where she sat, between Benedict and her father, but said nothing. She only concentrated on her manners, making sure not to fumble her food and not take too big of bites.  She hoped Mr. Hollenburg noticed her as a young lady, not a clumsy and messy little girl. Then she found she had a question for him, just a simple one but was afraid her voice would fail and she'd sound silly.  How could she have conversed so easily while alone with him earlier? Perhaps it was before she realized how much she desired to impress him.  Damned crush.
       Ellenora then took a deep breath and sat as her mother did, straight, tall, important. She assumed her mother's tone.
        "Mr. Hollenburg?" she said, proud of how strong and unwavering her voice sounded.
        Mr. Hollenburg's brows lifted and he sat up straight. "Yes, Ellenora?" he acknowledged pleasantly.
        The others looked at her and waited. She wished they weren't around. "I wonder how you decided to become a scribe."
        "Hmmm. No simple answer, really." he replied, his eyes never leaving her, as if she were the only one at the table or even the room. "Centuries ago it was seen as something mystical, and one had a calling to be a contract scribe much like a priest.  But in more modern times, it is decided by passing a battery of exams in calligraphy, astronomy, mathematics and art.  But tradition and, I suppose, the romantic notion of it keeps the mysticism alive and well."
     "Hence, the wedding scuffles!" Benedict laughed.
      "And threats," Mr. Hollenburg added, "Don't forget all the threats!"  And then all three men cracked up laughing.
        Ellenora cut her eyes at Benedict and her father, then sighed.  They had just enough wine to be distracting. They could be worse than Randy sometimes.
       When more wine was offered yet again, Mr. Hollenburg declined. "Thank you, Mr. Hodgins, but no." He then took out his pocket watch to consult the time. "Oh. It's nearly 10:30." He snapped the pocket watch closed. "If you'll excuse me." He stood from the table and bowed to Cattleya. "Thank you for the wonderful meal, Mrs. Hodgins."
Cattleya smiled warmly. "Of course you are welcome, Mr. Hollenburg. You know what will happen if you don't come down to eat in the next 48 hours."
"I'll be dragged on down to eat something before I starve?"
Cattleya smiled sweetly and nodded.
"Sounds like an awful lot of trouble. I'll just try to remember."
Cattleya and Iris both bid him good night, as did Claudia and Benedict who were in deep conversation about the rising price of a postage stamp over yet another bottle of wine.
Ellenora walked with Mr. Hollenburg to the stairs, on the way to her own bedroom on the second floor next to Randell's.
"Thank you for inviting me to dinner, Ellenora." he said starting up the stairs with her.
"You made it a lot more interesting, so, I ought to be thanking YOU!" Ellenora replied, again, somehow feeling more at ease, now that they were alone. "Father and Benedict tend to just talk business at dinner. I'm far more interested in what you do."
"Well, the process can be extremely dull."
They arrived at the top of the first flight. "Good night, Mr. Hollenburg. I'm so happy you're using our attic space."
"Me too, Ellenora. It truly is the perfect space for my work."
Ellenora bowed and started for her room, but then stopped and turned back to him. "I'm curious, Mr. Hollenburg."
"Oh? What about?"
"Was there something significant about it being 10:30?"
Mr. Hollenburg was already halfway up the second flight. "Yes, at 10:45, there will be some measurements I need to take of some stars. Would you like to help?"
Ellenora's mouth dropped open, and her eyes widened. "Can I, really??"
"Yes. Recording some measurements will help immensely."
Ellenora glanced down the stairs and could hear the faint sounds of her father and Benedict now arguing. Fueled by plenty wine, the bull session would most likely last until the wee hours of the morning.
Be that as it may, Ellenora was heading up to Mr. Hollenburg's studio to assist him in his craft. She couldn't remember being quite so nervous and happy all at once.