Chapter 28 | Long Time Coming

Mature content warning for this chapter:
Body horror, crude language, violence, implied death

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

             It was cold, yet burning.

              There was nothing, but everything was too much.

              The piercing screams of the converging witch rippled through the air, yet not a sound was heard.

             These were the experiences that all victims of this witch could testify to. Further descriptions of the air tasting of salt and blood would be rather suiting. However, at the same time, the air was so lacking in presence, it was suffocating. Nothing in this blackened circus of a void made sense.

              Still clutching onto Reki's gem, Miharu's hunched over and tense body began to relax as she opened her eyes. "Am I...dead...?" An army of blackened shadows that represented human-like hostile creatures attempted to lunge onto the poor girl. However, as if she had a force field around her, Miharu remained untouched.

               "What...?" Miharu was surprisingly calm; after all, she had just accepted and welcomed death into her heart.

             However, something wasn't right.

             She looked down at Reki's gem to see if it had shattered, but to her surprise it was glowing the brightest she had ever seen it. The radiant color of a saturated, pearly blue lit the area that she was condemned to and finally she could see it. The darkness began to evaporate to reveal a glowing and shimmering dust that surrounded Miharu in a protective way.

              As she stared in awe at the deep amethyst-like particles that danced around her, Reki's gem began to levitate, almost as if it was being called. Miharu watched the iridescent crystal rise over her head and return to something behind her. Although whatever this was had defied the logic of magic and somehow shielded her from her own demise, Miharu felt hesitant to turn and face the being behind her. Nevertheless, without standing, Miharu turned to find a blinding light coming from a familiar magical girl of purple.

              Before she knew it, a flash relit the room. She felt her body forced backward from the power of the bright light, but her curiosity forced her eyes back open to reveal a new environment. A chaotic yet peaceful room welcomed all of the present magical girls, including Midori and her companions.

              Frantically trying to understand what was happening, the girls' eyes spontaneously searched the new labyrinth for answers. After being met with gray patterned walls that were lined with constellation maps, tables with telescopes and steampunk looking gadgets, and a ceiling of glass that transformed the ruined reality of the outside into beautiful stars, the girls one by one laid eyes on the labyrinth's maker.

              An enchanting girl with two large, golden wings elegantly levitated above Miharu. Glowing, glittery particles, seemingly dipped in the colors of the galaxy, dripped from these golden arches. A large royal-white gown—decking black and gold accents—gracefully complimented her every movement. With her toes grazing the floor, the tall girl gently closed her hands around the white aura of Reki's gem. In that single moment, her hair length more than doubled, artistically draping behind her as it barely skimmed the floor beneath.

              When the angelic girl finally turned to reveal her face to the others, everyone was beyond expression due to the sight that they were blessed with. Two massive, crystal, star-like gems took their rightful places upon either wing, creating perfect balance with their magical presences.