Chapter 5. Pain

'Dad, is this really necessary? We already figured I can't be cured.' He raised his hand. 'You'll be fine,' he said. 'I just don't see why I should give my bone marrow,' I muttered and fiddled with fingers. 'You'll be fine.' My dad got up. Dr. Pierce approached and shook his hand before shaking my hand. 'Good to see you again,' he said and gestured me to follow him. 'You're not coming?' Dad shook his head. 'No, go on.' He waved me off. 'I don't want to go alone.' He gave me a look. 'Go on, I have an important phone call,' he said. 'Yeah, of course...' I scowled and rolled my eyes.

I hobbled after Dr. Pierce. 'This is your first time, but don't worry. I want to take some red marrow from your spine. 'But why? My brain is not in my spine and people can't cure me. I don't get why I should do this,' I said. 'I am the doctor here, lay down.' I was taken back by his sharp and snappy reply. I took off my shirt and laid down on my stomach. 'What are you gonna do?' He didn't respond so I turned my head. 'What is that—' I sat up. 'Lay down! You wouldn't like to be strapped down to table, do you?' He asked. 'I am gonna do this... no!' I got up. Dr. Pierce growled. 'Lay down!' He pointed at the table. 'Not until you told me what's this about and what that is! I've read about bone marrow and how they take it, they never mentioned this. I don't feel comfortable!'

I stepped back. 'This is a new device. To make it easier and less painful. I will numb your skin and you're going to be perfectly fine but you need to lay still,' he stated. 'But why! Red bone marrow. I don't get why I should give it you. Why will that help me cure?' Dr. Pierce laid his 'device' back down and grabbed a few other things. 'Come here.' My heart was racing. 'You need lay down and let me do my job. You're not helping, so lay down.' He pointed at the bed. 'I am not going to say it again,' he stated. I laid down, shaking. 'You'd want to get better or not?'

'No, I don't want to get better. I won't get better. I just don't want all these researches anymore. Fifteen years, everyone is doing these kind of things without talking to me first and I don't want it anymore,' I sulked. Dr. Pierce didn't reply. 'Hey! You said you wouldn't strap me down,' I snapped. 'Yes, but you're moving to much.'
'I lay still! I am not moving,' I snapped. He didn't listen and tightly strapped my wrists and ankles down to the bed.
I felt his hand move over my spine and stopped in the middle. 'What is that.'

'A drill, just relax.' He grabbed a scalpel. 'You said you would sedate me!' He ignored me and started to make a cut. I whimpered. 'Lay still, Emilia.' I cried in agony as he started to drill through my bone. The pain was to die for. 'Lay still,' he snapped. I felt blood wiggling down my sides, just like my tears rubbing down my cheeks. A soon as he finished with his procedure, he released me. I grabbed my shirt, pulling it back on. 'What that so hard?' he asked, turning around. I tried to control my emotions, but the pain still waved through me. I limped away, leaving him. Every movement felt like I got stabbed in the back over and over again.

My dad was calling. I left the building and couldn't stop crying. I didn't understand why he did it and why he didn't sedate me.  I hate when I passed Ratchet's  house. I can try to see if he's home. I walked up the front door and knocked. After a minute, he opened the door. Emelia?  What are you doing here? Why are you crying?'he asked. I hugged him, crying. The mech wrapped his arms around me .Come here.'Hepulled me inside and shut the door. 'What happened?' he asked. Í was at the hospital for an appointment . My dad told me just an hour ago I had an appointment and I didn't  know why.  He took my bone marrow but he strapped me down and didn't sedate me. I tried to get some information but he ignored me. He didn't listen and_'I started crying again. Ratchet took me to the living room.. "let me see.' I sat down, removing my shirt and let him have a look. He got up, and returned with a few things. Ít's  nasty wound,'he murmured, cleaning up all the blood and injecting me.

The pain faded shortly after, but not completely. He got up again and handed me some water. You're okay, 'He murmured and pulled me some closer. 'Thank you.'He hummed and watched me take sips. 'Where's your father?' he asked. Át the hospital, he's on the phone again.'  He gave a small nod and kissed the side of my head. ''Why don't you stay here?' he asked. 'You're okay with that?'I asked. Ýeah, I'd like to keep an eye on you and help you when the pain gets worse again. You are better off here with me than at home with your dad who doesn't give a shit about you.'He sounded pissed off. The mech got up and walked up to the kitchen. I took a moment to look around. Ít's nice here, I said as he returned. 'Thanks.  He sat back down and offered me some cookies. 'A smile stretched on my lips. 'Do you know why he took my bone marrow?' asked. He shook his head, 'it was not necessary and he hurt you by doing so. Not sedating is cruel, everyone knows that and strapping you down...  what's his name?'I asked. 'Dr. Walter Pierce,' I said. 'He gave a small nod. I know him, he works with me in the same department,'he sulked.

He turned on the TV and we watched something. I think he did it to distract me a little bit and it's working. I was able to  relax a little bit despite the pain that still waved through me. 'What do you want to eat tonight?'I glanced at Ratchet again. 'You let me pick something?'I asked. Í do...'He sat back, looking at me. 'But...' he began. 'Before you mention fast food,  I don't serve you any fast food related things because I don't want you to eat unhealthy stuff. No McDonalds, no burger king, just something that is not fast food related,' he said. I couldn't help but laugh. 'Alright, pizza? Pizza is not unhealthy,' I said as I saw him think. 'Fine, but you do eat some fruit as well,' he warned and got up. 'You are so strict,'I teased. "Perhaps I am, but because of that, not many people die under my watch.'I smiled as he walked off.

He ordered pizza and while we waited, my dad called. Ýou should pick up.'I snorted and shook my head. 'I am mad at him. For ignoring me, not listening, putting me in today's situations and not explaining anything to me,'I sulked. ''The doctor should be blamed for the last thing you just named. It's not up to your father to tell you what is going to happen. Your doctor should have done that,' He stated. 'You are defending my dad.' The medic shook his head. 'I am not, I am just mentioning that it's not the place to tell you what is going to happen. But you can blame him for all the other things,' he said. I turned towards him.  Çan't you be my doctor?' I asked. 'I can't be your friend and your doctor.. There's a professional boundary we need to have.' My face dropped. 'I trust you and if it means we can't be friends then okay but I want you.' He glanced at me again.he sighed softly, Í don't want to go through what I have been through today, Ratchet. The pain was horrible and it's not the first time something like that has happened. Please, I have seen so many doctors but I have neve met anyone like you.'

He sighed again and got up when someone knocked on the door.. 'I don't think it will be a good idea,' he said as he returned. 'Can you think about it? I asked. Álight, I will consider it but I am not going to make any promises.  I can't be your doctor and your friend,' he said. I gave a small nod and took the pizza box from him.