Sunday Summit

You’d travelled outside the city for the meeting. Neutral ground. Risen early in the morning, rehearsed your arguments on the drive over.

It was just after nine when you’d pulled up to the building, a restaurant bought out for the occasion. Apparently, it had been used at the last summit that had needed to be called, and the staff were all under strict instructions to keep their heads down and out the way as much as possible. Toby had also explained that everyone sent a delegate ahead of time to make it known that, were anything untoward to happen - say it was discovered they were complicit in an ambush - that there would be consequences from the rest of the organisations represented. It seemed promising that everyone could work together on something, even if it was only Mutually Assured Destruction.

No-one addressed the other as groups trickled in, some already there when you arrived, some chasing up after. Subtle nods of acknowledgement were all that were traded before the clock hit ten and everyone was present around the table.

“Right, shall we get started?” one of the older men seemed to call everything to order, and people took their seats, or found a place to stand behind their figurehead. Toby and Aaron took a stand either side of Alfie’s chair, and you brought up the rear, shaking hands perched on the wood behind his shoulders. You gripped against the carving for just a moment, anchoring yourself as the room settled.

“What’s so urgent this had to be dealt with right now? It’s a Sunday, for crying out loud, I should be taking my grandkids to church right about now” another man checked his watch as he found his seat, and you reeled through the mugshots in your head. You turned to lean into Toby, ready to whisper a name for confirmation.

“Though I suppose that’s not a concern for everyone” the man muttered, and you turned your head back on a swivel at the bitter drip of his tone. Toby knocked his hand against the back of yours as you prepared to fire back, and so you swallowed the words with a huff.

“It’s a concern for a few of us, actually Mathers, we’re just managing to not be pricks about it” a man much younger than the others droned out, lounging back in his chair like he was at a social event that had gone on a little too long. The droll roll of the words pulled a smile to your face, the flick of his lilt over the barbs. He shot a wink at you when he saw your grin, and you shook your head, stepping to lean against the side of the chair, rather than hiding behind it. Apparently, you did have some friends at this table. Or at least, people open to the possibility.

“Alright, Gerritt?” Alfie acknowledged the man, who waved back lazily.

He reminded you of some fop in an old film, causing a somewhat lethargic ruckus at a society event, rolled sleeves and tipsy smiles as he was accused of insolence by a man wearing a monocle. The type of guy you used to huddle in a corner with at uni parties and wax lyrical about the values of pretention with.

It took you a moment to remember that this cute, sardonic guy had also shot and killed his brother not too long ago and now controlled a small empire. Gerritt Nash was not what you’d expected. And he was not where you’d gone looking for allies. But like Alfie had said, chaos had gotten you everything so far. Maybe what you needed was someone a bit mercurial on your side.

“Now” Gerritt kicked forward in his chair, slapping his hands together, and launching himself against the table with a clunk “I heard there was business to be done”.

-

Your positive outlook had swiftly faded away. Three hours had passed, and basically all that had gotten done so far was muck-raking.