Paperwork

The curtain rings screeched along the rail as they were flung apart.

“Up and at ‘em, there’s a good girl!” Alfie's gruff voice boomed at you.

You moaned and mumbled a garbled message into the pillow, scrunching yourself up in the bed.

“What was that?” he questioned, leaning over the end of the mattress, the footboard squeaking slightly as he applied his weight to it. The blanket was pulled down, and he chuckled as he dodged the pillow you threw at him.

You sighed and pushed yourself up from the bed, rising to your knees. You turned your head over your shoulder to where he was leaning on the doorframe.

“I said – ‘stop calling me girl’, Alfie! And stop barging in here while I'm sleeping. And stop stealing my blankets! And stop pulling that face that says 'it's my room and my blankets' – I know and...” You realised how futile your efforts were, and swallowed the rest of your words. He lifted his arm, resting his forearm against the wood and staring back at you blankly.

“Would you like breakfast before work?” the chain on his wrist jangled as he flicked his hand in the air.

You scowled and crawled to the edge of the bed. The quilt tangled around your ankle and you flopped to your side in your sleepy state.

“Yes…I would. Thank you”

“Alright, what would you like?”

“I would like…toast. Please.” you mumbled back, wiping at your eye, confused at what was happening.

“Toast. Right.” he reached out for the door handle and pulled it closed behind him, leaving you squinting on the bed.

-

“Well, good morning” a familiar voice greeted you the second you stepped into view.

“Toby, piss off. There’s a good lad. Aaron!” Alfie bellowed, making you drop your head and laugh. Toby immediately turned back to the group of men he’d been talking with. You kept stride with Alfie, heels clacking on the damp floor as you progressed through the warehouse. Your hands were deep in the pockets of the coat you’d been re-united with, keeping the swirling chill at bay.

“You really work in a shadowy bad-guy dungeon? Really, Alfred?” you lifted your head as he paused to unlock a door, turning his head to you slightly. He stepped in without replying.

“I hope I’m not going to be stuck down here” you snarked after him, hovering in the doorway.

Aaron gave you a side glance as he passed, following Alfie into the office.

“You need me boss?” he pulled one hand from his pocket, throwing a thumb over his shoulder “or should I go fetch one of the other dungeon men?”

You rolled your eyes, moving into the office as well.

“Don’t be bitter, Aaron. You’re still my favourite. I mean, I only know four people by name here and all but...wait no, five. The knicker lady.” You shrugged, and patted Aaron's arm, turning to Alfie. He was digging in a drawer, his eyes still on the two of you.

“You done?” he asked sarcastically and you turned to Aaron with a flair.

“He stormed into my bedroom this morning, can you believe that, Aaron? I could have been indecent”