𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙩𝙬𝙤

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
"Earn your keep"
——

In a thriving Hilltop, residents tend to their crops, while Enid conducts doctor check-ups in the infirmary

In a thriving Hilltop, residents tend to their crops, while Enid conducts doctor check-ups in the infirmary. "She's back!" One of the guard on the out post calls out as they quickly open the gates for Jane. "Not gonna make us give up our weapons?" Willow questions as Jane stops and turns to look at her. "Depends, you gonna shoot my people?" Jane asks and Willow sighs as she looks away. "Come on" Jane says as she walks inside Hilltop and Ashton, Ivy, and Silas look at the place in awe while Willow and Sydney keep their guard up.

"Mommy!" Roslyn calls out as she runs to Jane wearing her fathers hat. "Hey kiddo!" Jane greets as she bends down and brings Roslyn into a hug. When they both pull away Jane fixes the baseball cap on Roslyn's head and notices Joslyn's wedding ring necklace shining on Roslyn's neck. "You we're gone a long time" Roslyn says and Jane smiles as she pinches her daughters cheeks. "I know but I was safe" Jane says as she kisses Roslyn's cheek and sends her mom a smile before running off to play with the other kids.

"She's so cute" Ashton says and Jane stands to her feet, looking over at him. "I know" Jane says and lets out a laugh before looking to the new group of people behind her. "You weren't wrong when you said she had a gun" Silas says referring to the gun that laid in Roslyn's holster. "No.. I didn't but she knows not to use it on people. Not now at least" Jane assures making Silas nod his head with a smile on his face. "Anyways, Welcome to Hilltop" Jane says and the group continues to look around as the gates close behind them.

"Jane! Thank god your back" Tara says as she rushes out of the Barrington house with a pack of papers. "Who are they?" Tara wonders. "Silas, Ashton, Ivy, Willow and Sydney. I found them while I was out scavenging. They're good people and I think they can contribute" Jane states and Tara nods her head, accepting the stray people Jane has brought back home.

"Whatever you say boss" Tara says and Willow furrows her eyebrows. "Boss?" Willow questions and Jane sends her a smile. "Oh, I'm the leader of Hilltop" Jane says before Silas and Ashton begin to snicker quietly. "You really shouldn't of hit her" Ashton jokes as he looks over to Sydney who punches his arm. "Alden, hey!" Jane calls out, grabbing Alden's attention. "What's up?" Alden asks as he wipes his hands of dirt from the garden. "Can you take these people to my office?" Jane asks and Alden nods his head and motions for the group to the follow them and they do.

"Any word on Maggie?" Jane asks as she looks to Tara. "Yep, she sent another letter saying she's good and happy" Tara says as Jane sighs while nodding her head, trying to keep her emotions in check. "That's good" Jane mumbles as her and Tara start walking towards the house. "A bunch of people want to talk to you" Tara says and Jane groans in annoyance. "I just talked to at least 25 people yesterday" Jane says and Tara shrugs her shoulders.