Part 8: What doesn't kill you makes you crazier

I'd like to dedicate this chapter to @seagullsong and @AnRobasdanach 

As quietly as I could, my hand went from the handle to turning my key into the locked position. Elbows up, my hands were clamped to the back of my head, my legs apart. I swear, I could see my heart pounding against the inside of my soaked shirt.

Long-drawn snarls echoed down the hall. Their source was behind my door, room number 12 and this thing...it wasn't budging. Not until I let it in. Down to my bones... I knew it had come for me, personally...and I'm...I'm visiting places in my mind I can't even describe.

Somewhere in this whirlpool, I find the light switch and I cringe when the bulb blasts on. I had just confirmed I'm in.

My hand claws the light switch back down and I run to grab my bed, heaving this 50 kilo mass against the door. Then I stride to the window.

I was so worried it wouldn't open; I recall making whistling noises of panic when I breathed—then it opens. And the most piercing cry—like a whistling kettle—erupts because all this storm-wind is funnelling into my room from a slit. I kept heaving the window up and looked down into the night. Piles of branches had been blasted right below the window. I could see and hear a trellis creaking, almost to breaking point, in the gale. The good thing was it stretched almost all the way down to this pile.

"Can it take my weight?" I mumbled. I faced the door—the snarls sounded the same. This thing couldn't miss me heaving the bed and prying open the window.

My hands grabbed onto my loose trousers, and I started tying knots. I walked to the curtains, ripped them down, tied them together. I threw my fabric ladder out and looked below— "Yes!" It touched the top of the unstable trellis.

I went to my bed, under which my bag was. I got it out and put on the rest of my clothes. Again, something felt wrong. It was the noise.

My legs bolted for the window, and I shut it, listening carefully for a full minute.

Absolute silence.

Now I'm reassessing:

a) I'm making weapons out of my keys and belt;

b) I'm not going outside because where would I hide in a hurricane?

c) I need to make sure that thing is really far enough for me to safely switch to a new room. That is until I can go downstairs and use the landline for help.

I took my weapons, slung my bag over a shoulder, and slowly creaked open the door. I stayed frozen for a long time until I ran tiptoe to the room next door. Finally, my first bit of luck all night; it was unlocked, and no one was waiting for me in the king-size bed.

I closed the door behind me. The second bit of luck; this door could be bolted from the inside right away.

This side overlooked the pathway to the entrance of the building, I thought. So, I peeled the curtains from a corner and had a look. I could see a little inside the rooms facing my way despite the rain lashing against the pane. I strained my eyes over everything that moved outside and anything I could see through the ground-floor windows.

I saw nothing.

I scanned the first floor.

Nothing.

The second floor.

Out of the first window a man gawked at me, his bulging eyes almost white against the darkness.

I yelped, my knees buckled, and I collapsed, half-holding the curtains on the way down.

Ever been the target of a peeping tom? Vote and leave a comment or feedback

Top photo by Aidan Roof (Pexels) and bottom by Guilherme Rossi (Pexels)