Always You

0800 hours. That meant that it was the end of my shift on the bridge of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Picard nodded at me, before I even said anything about returning to my quarters to rest up for a bit.

Though, I wasn't too tired, since we finally didn't have any stressful missions in our schedule for today, so I only continued running a few calculations and some occasional research.

When I arrived at my quarters, I had a flashback to that awkward moment when Lt. Commander Data found out that I had a major crush on him, and that I was very much attracted to him...

The other crew members kept pushing me to admit it for the longest time, especially Geordi... But I can't be angry at any of them. In fact, I was rather relieved that Data finally knew.

Of course, the crew tried to convince me to act on it too, but I was quite shy regarding it. Eventually I did do it though.

The second I admitted my feelings for him, he even slightly smiled at me. I thought he's just going to politely decline my request to be in a relationship.

Maybe he feels the same way which he technically can't, since he's an android, but I always thought that he actually very much had feelings, he just didn't know. In fact, I was sure of it.

Being so sure of rejection though, I was already turning away from him about to walk out the door and just leave him standing there. But when he smiled like that, I knew he'd say something else.

"(Y/N), I'm surprised. I did not know.
Inquiry: why would you choose me to feel close to?"

I chuckled. "Because I think you're wonderful, Data. In every way. I'm always awestruck with whatever you do. But in a way, humans don't always choose whom to fall in love with. It usually just happens."

He slightly tilted his head, a questioned look on his face. "Curious. I do not know in what way I appear as wonderful to you, but I glady appreciate your sentiment."

Then he asked me, as honest as he always is: "Am I correct to assume that you wish to proceed to engage in a relationship with me?"
I nodded in response.

I was absolutely baffled, because I still hung onto that rejection that I thought would happen.

"Are you really asking me that, Data?" I asked, all excited about his confirmation to start something together.

"Of course. Why would I refrain from asking you? You did just confirm that you experience feelings towards me, did you not commander?"

I smiled to myself, not believing how sincere Data always sounds and how his choice of words was always so accurate.

"Yes, indeed I did. It's just that I was doubting that you'd ever accept my proposal. I suppose, I thought you would simply decline my offer...

The thing is, that I am both flattered and confused by your immediate response. I don't want to misjudge you, but I must ask: Would you say yes to anyone that would express these feelings towards you, Data?"

The questioned look returned onto his face. He looked right into my eyes, as if searching for an answer there.

"(Y/N), I may not be able to experience emotions, but that does not mean, that I do not feel anything towards you.
Your concern is valid and I sincerely appreciate your honesty in this regard. In a certain way, I am build to please, whenever it is requested. However, I would not simply agree to anyone that asks me to do so.