𝙩𝙬𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮-𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE
"The Calm Before"
——

In the Kingdom, Ezekiel addresses the crowd

In the Kingdom, Ezekiel addresses the crowd. Jane holds Roslyn's hand while they look up at King Ezekiel giving his speech to the crowd. "I stand before you today at the start of a new tomorrow" Ezekiel starts off. "A tomorrow made possible by the sacrifices of many over the years. Among them, a man whose mission was to build community and strengthen the bonds between us. A man who had to destroy the very thing that connected us in order to save us" Ezekiel explains and Jane smiles slightly as she knows who Ezekiel is referring to.

"It took us far too long to fulfill the promise of what Rick Grimes and his son Carl envisioned, the same promise Paul Rovia, better known to most as Jesus, believed in when he brought us all together those many years ago" Ezekiel states and Jane sighs softly as she hears the names of the people she cared about. "We fought our way back to each other. We have grown. The crossing over the river may be gone but we rebuilt a bridge, nonetheless" Ezekiel cheers and everyone claps their hands together, applauding him.

"Today is proof that we can unite, not against a common enemy, but for the common good" Ezekiel states as he looks around at crowd before wrapping up his speech. "Let the fair of new beginnings begin!", Ezekiel says and with that everyone cheers and applauses as birds are let out into the sky.

"Can I go play now?" Roslyn asks and Jane looks down at Roslyn and nods her head. "Go ahead" Jane agrees and Roslyn runs off, "Be careful!" Jane shouts as Roslyn continues to run off and join the other kids.

"I think she'll be fine" Silas says as he comes up beside Jane who watches Roslyn play with the other kids from a distance. Jane notices that Michonne and her convoy have arrived and after Judith greets Carol and Ezekiel she finds Roslyn and they begin playing together like they used to years ago. It's been awhile since they've seen each other and it's like nothing has changed.

"So, how do you like the Kingdom?" Jane asks as she looks over at Silas who lets out a sigh as he gives the Kingdom one last look around. "Uh... it's different" Silas says and Jane nods her head in agreement. "Hey, can we—". Magna says as she comes up beside Jane and Silas. "I have to go... leader duties" Jane says as she clears her throat and leaves Magna and Silas presence before meeting up with Michonne, Tara and the other community leaders inside the theater.

"I know I haven't always seen eye to eye with everyone in this room. But I never stopped caring about any of you. I was just trying to protect my family and do right by my people. Alexandria's future is here" Michonne states as she looks around at the other leaders. "We're here now," she says and Gabriel announces Alexandria is willing to grant asylum to Lydia, but Tara warns if her mother retaliates it'll be against Hilltop.

"I agree that women is bat shit crazy" Jane says and immediately looks over to Lydia, "no... offense" Jane says before she clears her throat. "Yeah, we need to do right by our people just like you're doing for yours. I thought we'd be on the same page with that" Tara states looking to Michonne and Gabriel. Michonne then reminds Tara that none of them were trusted when they were first introduced to the Survivors, and Tara relents. They all agree to send some of their own to Hilltop to guard against any potential attacks from the Whisperers and Michonne decides to re-establish the charter, establishing that an attack against Hilltop counts as an attack against all of them.