Chapter 2

Valkyrie opened the door and the bell boy who gave her and Skulduggery their room keys, "Yes?"

"I was just wondering if you were planning on staying any longer. You and your friend came in the other night and asked for the room keys. When I tried to explain that you had given them back and told me that you weren't planning on coming back, your friend said you'd pay in the morning and then leave. I gave you the keys because, to be honest, he scares me."

"I'm guessing you haven't knocked on his door yet."

"Oh god no. I was wondering if you don't mind me asking. Did you go out for a couple of beers or something? The two of you looked pretty stoned last night."

"Dude! That is not something you ask anyone!" Valkyrie pulled out some cash, "Here, this should be enough for two rooms."

The bell boy took the money, mumbling thanks under his breath. Valkyrie sighed and walked over to Skulduggery's door and knocked. Hearing a crash, she jammed the card in the slot and opened it. Rushing in, ready to fight, she found Skulduggery on the ground, feet on the bed. "Did you fall over?"

"I did not fall, I am far too graceful." He stood up, dusting off his suit and straightening his hat, "I simply laid on the ground quickly."

Valkyrie rolled her eyes, "'Course you did. Do you have any idea why we came back here? I thought once we checked out the house, we'd catch the first flight home."

"I have a vague idea actually. We need to go back to that house."

"I think you need to apologize to that bell boy first."

He tilted his head, "Why?"

"Whatever happened last night, you scared him."

He hit the sigils on his collarbones. His façade had Amber-brown eyes and brown hair. "That's weird."

"What's wrong?"

"This is the same face as yesterday. I'll have to ask China about it when we get back."

"After the house?"

"After the house."

---At the house---

"So you're telling me that this girl, who supposedly doesn't believe in magic, managed to wipe our memories and is supposedly the death bringer?"

Skulduggery locked the rental car, a brown cooper with a sick green inside. "That is what I've gathered from the recording."

Valkyrie shook her head, "I still don't understand how it managed to come out intact."

"By the sound of it, she's young and untrained. The fact that the cult calls her the Deathbringer, yet she knows nothing of magic is confusing. If they thought she was the Deathbringer, they'd at least teach her about necromancy."

They arrived at the door, and Skulduggery knocked.

a sixteen-year-old girl in a tank top and gym shorts opened the door and stared at Skulduggery and Valkyrie, blue eyes wide in fear and confusion.

Valkyrie summoned the warmest smile she could muster, "Hello, Victoria. We're . . ."

She screamed and slammed the door.

"Well, that was an interesting reaction."

Victoria opened the door again, this time all smiles, "Hi. I'm so sorry. I wasn't expecting to see you again. Would you like to come in?"

"Actually," Skulduggery started, "I was wondering if we could talk out here. We don't want any more tricks like what you did last night."

"I see. Is there anything in particular you want to know about Umbra?"

"Where can we find him. He has been sending threatening letters to the Supreme Mage and he needs to be arrested."

"He's dead. I found out this morning."

"Then do you mind coming with us for questioning?"

Victoria shook her head, "I can't. If I- one moment." She ran off into the house, leaving the door wide open. Valkyrie and Skulduggery went in warily until they found no one in there and heard a retching sound.

Victoria stumbled out of the bathroom, wiping her mouth. "I'm good." Her amber eyes, however, showed immense pain.

Valkyrie blinked, "Wait, weren't your eyes blue?"

"It's called heterochromia. If I went with you to wherever you need me to go, the cult will find me. They're everywhere."

"I'm sure if you just gave us a chance-"

"I'm sorry, but no. My answer's final."

Skulduggery set his jaw, "I'm sorry, but we can't accept no for an answer."

"I see." Victoria sucked in a breath, closing her eyes, "I was hoping I wouldn't have to do this." She started to raise her arms.

Skulduggery swung out his right fist. It was caught by shadows. A black stripe appeared on Victoria's cheek where she would have been hit. She opened her eyes and pushed through the two of them and ran out the door, grabbing a bag Valkyrie didn't notice beforehand.

The two Arbiters took chase, keeping her in sight, but just barely. When the girl turned into a forest, both Skulduggery and Valkyrie took flight. They were slowly catching up when the girl disappeared into the ground. Skulduggery and Valkyrie landed, one more graceful than the other.

Valkyrie got up and dusted herself off, "Where'd she go?"

"Underground."

"How did she just go underground?"

"Can you see her with your aura vision?"

Valkyrie turned on her aura vision, "I can see her. She's running through an underground tunnel."

"Then it's underground we go."

Skulduggery and Valkyrie went through the ground, and found a dark tunnel. Skulduggery summoned a fireball to light the way, and they followed the tunnel.

(Sorry if this chapter was a little off. I'm a bit rusty. The next one should be better.)