Chapter III: Memories

"You're awake?"

When Gong Jun opened his eyes, the ceiling of the ancient armory was the first thing that he saw. Afterwards, he heard a voice coming from just a small distance away, and when he turned his head, he saw Zhou Zishu walking from the direction of the room's door towards him.

"I was just about to wake you up. You've been unusually restless in your sleep. Were you having a nightmare?" the man asked.

However, the words he said weren't registered to Gong Jun's brain at all. In a daze, Gong Jun half crawled out of his sleeping bag, sitting up with his legs still hidden under the nylon. He looked straight at Zhou Zishu, but at the same time it seemed as if he wasn't looking at all; his sight was unfocused.

The other man raised his brow.

"What? What is the matter?" Zhou Zishu lowered himself to kneel beside him. The distance between them was shortened in the blink of an eye, and Gong Jun's stare could not be anymore obvious.

Slowly, Gong Jun lifted his hand.

It seemed like a movement that he did out of consciousness, something that he didn't even realize he was doing. His eyes remained fixed on Zhou Zishu. Just a little bit more, and his fingers would touch that person's face.

"Gong Jun?"

He blinked once at that call, and with that blink, Gong Jun was awake at last. He felt as though a bucket of cold water had just been dumped onto him. Shaking his head, now his pupils were finally focusing and he could see Zhou Zishu looking at him, full of bewilderment.

"...ShuShu?" he opened his mouth, a little bit taken aback by how hoarse his own voice sounded.

Zhou Zishu let out a little sigh, his confusion now receding.

"Have your face washed and drink something," he said to Gong Jun, "I do not know why, but your sleep did not seem peaceful. Take some time to calm down."

Gong Jun also thought that he didn't have a peaceful rest. Still a bit groggy, he did as Zhou Zishu told him. After a few splashes of cold water and a few gulps of drink, he felt a bit more fresh at last.

He went back to the room. When he stepped in, he saw Zhou Zishu sitting on a chair with his back towards him. In front of that man was a wooden desk with a round bronze mirror on top of it. Apparently, Zhou Zishu was brushing his hair.

Gong Jun had just realized now that Zhou Zishu did not have the usual little bun on his head. His black hair was only tied in a half ponytail, and maybe now he was just about to put up that bun. Although it was nothing but a mundane daily thing, Gong Jun found his interest piqued by this. Thus, he walked over towards Zhou Zishu.

"ShuShu, can I help you brush your hair?"

Zhou Zishu's movement stopped for a split second. And yet when he turned to look at Gong Jun, his expression appeared calm.

"Why would you want to do it?" he asked.

"I don't know. I just feel like it," replied the other with a grin, "Your hair is so long. It must be difficult to take care of it on your own. Since you have a helping hand now, why not use it?"

Zhou Zishu fell silent. For a moment, Gong Jun thought he was about to refuse. But then the immortal picked up a wooden comb from the table, holding it out towards him.

"Do it well," he said, and Gong Jun happily took the comb from his hand.

In his whole life, Gong Jun had never brushed anyone's hair before except for his own. There was a sense of satisfaction as the comb slid smoothly from the root to the end of those long black strands. Was brushing someone else's hair always felt this enjoyable or was it because it was Zhou Zishu?