Chapter 34: Feelings of a Soldier

Naruto sat at the banks of a small lake in the forest, it was night time and the moon was shining brightly in the sky. His blue eyes gazed at the calm light that the moon was providing, it looked so peaceful.

No noises, no people, it was just him and nature all by themselves. The cool breeze of wind that was hitting his chest, was making him relaxed, and he wanted to feel comfortable for a little while.

It had been 10 days since he had arrived at Nono's house, and a week since he was declared as a traitor. By now, he knew Kurenai and the others must have known what he had done.

His wounds were now healed, but his eyesight was deteriorating with each passing day. Nono had started working on the procedure to form an artificial cornea to stop his blindness, but it was going to take time.

But the worst was his disease, it was getting worse with each passing day, violent coughing of blood, severe headaches and body pain were the primary symptoms.

Nono had strictly warned him not to use the Mangekyo anymore, or get in big fights, or else he would just shorten up his life. She wanted him to just recover, but that was not possible, this was the last night because tomorrow he would set out with Itachi to finish his mission.

He didn't know what to think of Itachi, for a man who killed his own family, Itachi was very calm and, there was no signs of regret on his face. Either he was very good at emotions, or there were no emotions left in him.

Naruto wondered had Itachi cried when he killed his parents? Had he felt the same despair that he was feeling?

"I am grateful my parents are not alive, at least they don't have to see what I have turned into," thought Naruto regretfully,

"How are you feeling?" asked Kurama slowly

He had started to talk with his partner again, talking with the beast helped ease his pain. Kurama understood him more than anyone, Naruto was grateful for having such a friend.

"I'm alive, if that's what you are asking," said Naruto calmly

"How long are you going to stay like this? You need to let go," advised Kurama strictly

"It doesn't matter, we will be going out tomorrow, and complete the mission," said Naruto nonchalantly

Kurama then decided to ask something that was bugging him since many days.

"What about the genjutsu that you casted on Kurenai?" asked Kurama seriously

He did not receive any answer from Naruto, as he just looked at the sky with a lost look in his eyes.

"I have removed the genjutsu," said Naruto calmly, after a few minutes

"What?" asked Kurama in shock, he didn't understand how could he do that?

"You heard me, I have removed the genjutsu that I casted on her," said Naruto again

"How is this possible? You have never met her since that night when you casted the genjutsu?" asked Kurama curiously

"Have you forgotten what the Mangekyo Sharingan can do?" asked Naruto stoically

Kurama then wondered what Naruto meant, but after a few moments he realized what Naruto was trying to say as he remembered what had happened when he had attacked Konoha.

"I can command anyone with my Mangekyo to do what I like, it is not necessary that every time I have to be around that person. Their mind belongs to me, no matter where I am, I can release the genjutsu if I don't want it any longer," explained Naruto seriously