Settling In

My eyes slowly open as I hear the call of a rooster outside- ironic, considering I don't have any roosters yet- and I sluggishly climb out of bed. I check the TV, before heading outside to water my crops.      It was a sunny and warm day, and I smile to myself, feeling the sun on my back.
     Later in the day, after my chores are done, I run into town to buy more seeds. On my way to Pierre's, I run into the man from before- Shane. Of course, he isn't too happy to see me. "Hey- watch where you're fuckin' going..." He grumbled, fixing his sweater; the signature blue Joja Co hoodie, covered in stains. "Oh, sorry-" I pick up my little shopping list, looking back at the grouchy man, "Hey, you work at Joja Mart, right? Are their seeds cheaper than Pierre's?" Shane visibly holds back a laugh, snorting. "Cheaper? Not at all. Capitalist pigs mark everything up- you're better going with Pierre's. Don't tell Morris I told you that- he'd kick my ass. Now I gotta go." He brushed past me, shoving his hands in his pockets.
     I stand there for a moment, processing our little conversation.
     Shane was so closed off; it was quite entrancing, and only made me want to pursue him more. I can only wonder what he's like when he's not pushing everyone away.
           _____________________________
     Once evening came, I decided to head over to the bar, remembering when Lewis mentioned that everyone tended to meet there at night. Not so surprisingly, Shane was standing next to the wooden bear statue by the bar counter, sipping on a beer. Trying to make a good impression on Shane, I order another drink from Gus, heading over to the other man. "Hey- I wanted to apologize for running into you earlier." I held out the drink, and Shane looked back at me, rather surprised. "Wow, how'd you know this was my favorite?" He cracked a slight smile, which took me by surprise. I've never seen him smile. "Wild guess-" I return the grin, sitting down at the counter beside him.
    We talked for a few hours, even though I did most of it. He didn't open up much, but it seemed he was starting to. Slowly but surely.
     I was making progress.