☞ 1. The Start of The End

image credit/source : pinterest

Wednesday, February 16th 2022
chapter status : edited

Chapter warnings : some strong language and depictions of fantasy violence.

                         pov | third person

Ollie lifted herself from her knees and began walking out the shrine, waving to a fruit vendor who kindly waved back. The sun shone down brightly on Twin Sisters Capital and people talked with each other in happy conversations, all about different things. The beach was full of families and the smell of cooked street food filled the air that drew Ollie over to the area. She found herself in front of a food stand, stomach growling in hunger.

Paying the man and thanking him, she walked off with the treat and walked down the southern beach and noticed the view of the sky against the ocean, admiring it and leaning against the wooden post next to her. Throwing the wrapper in the bin, Ollie turned around, bumping into a patrol knight with a big **'klink!'**. Bracing for impact with her eyes closed, she protected her horns yet not feeling the warmth of the hot concrete.

She opened an eye to see a pair of ruby hues looking back into her emerald ones. "I am terribly sorry miss." His voice was smooth and deep. Maze Raithe, Head Knight of the Ariesian Patrol, Watch team and the King's right hand man. A rosy hue spread across Ollie's tan cheeks and she stood herself up straight, allowing the centaur to also do the same. "I am very sorry as well!" she apologized, abashed. "Do not apologize! It was my fault, I wasn't looking where I was going." He took her hand and kissed the back of it, smiling at her and continuing on with his patrol.

Placing a hand over her chest, she could feel her rapid heartbeat. Taking a deep breath and looking up at her surroundings, Ollie walked onwards to the place she works. They searched their pockets, taking out the key, and unlocked the chains closing the main parts of entry in the fair-sized stand. The place she worked was a very nice and welcoming area. Good for someone to easily come and cause some havoc. Thieves have been quite common for the past two weeks. So, for the first time in decades, people have been locking and using extra protection to close their stands and shops.

Ollie set everything up and opened the front of her stand, watching the people talk and pass by with smiles on their faces. About 2 hours later and the usual amount of sold loaves were done. She watched one of her common visitor walk up to her, smiling her way. "Hey Ms.Langston. The usual, right?"  "Ah yes, you know me too well." The woman in front of her giggled lowly, searching for the amount of currency to pay her. She smiled and grabbed more flour with one hand and the milk craters with her other, passing it the elders way with the fresh bread from the oven. "Thank you so much dearie. Here's a gift alongside payment." She left a small slip on the countertop and before Ollie could hand it back the lady left. Grabbing the slip and placing it into her satchel watching the women disappear in the crowds of people. Once she was done with that order, there was a little line. "I need 8 loaves of bread and 2 pitchers of milk." She nodded at the other lady and began to bake, grabbing the milk and handing it to her. Ollie continued to work and a little while later no more than at least an hour a carriage pulled up outside and out stepped the Ariesian King. Panicking, Ollie attempted to clean the counter and her face, wiping her apron nervously.

Why was the king visiting some commoner like her? Was he going somewhere else? Was this a coincidence? Thoughts flooded her mind and she panicked the more she would think of any and every possible thing that was going on at that moment. Of course she failed to even look presentable. She was working, so of course she wouldn't be wearing anything extra to be cooking bread and selling milk.