The man

6 years later Dominique was out shopping for a dress with her step-dad Mark. She had just been asked to prom and she couldn't wait.
"Come on darling, Marisa (Dominique's mum) wants us back before dark,"he called out, as he looked as the sun set down behind the tall buildings and the sky started turning a light shade of pink and orange.
"Just a moment," came a voice from behind the grey curtain of the dressing room, "how do I look?" She was wearing a red cocktail dress with matching red heels. "I like the red one better than the blue one," Dominique said looking at the mirror stuck to the wall.
Mark smiled, replying "you look amazing darling."

As they were walking down a dark alleyway to get home, they spotted a man in all black ahead of them. He was holding a gun in his right hand. Dominique gulped, a gut feeling telling her to run away from there as fast as possible but decided to follow her step-dad towards the man.
"So how long did you think you could keep her hidden from me?" The man growled, his voice deep and menacing. Dominique looked up to see wild, green eyes staring back at her, "hasn't Marisa ever mentioned me Dominique?"He smirked when she saw her scared look turn into one of confusion for a split second.
She finally got enough courage to ask how he knew her and her mum.
Meanwhile Mark was pulling on her arm slowly mouthing 'Dominique go.'
But she couldn't move. Her feet were stuck to the ground and she felt she had no control over her body. Fear was reflecting in Dominique's eyes and as the man saw it, he began to lift his gun.
Mark started shouting for her to move, but she was frozen to the spot.
"Goodnight Dominique," and just before Dominique's life flashed in front of her eyes, she was shoved to the ground.

The man's face turned from a smirk to a furious one and he quickly shot Mark on the chest, the bang so deafening it startled Dominique out of her trance, and it was long enough for her to be able to start running.
She ran until her feet ached, heart hammering against her chest and breath caught in her throat.