Wattpad Original
There are 10 more free parts

BONUS ~ home

noun ~ a safe, familiar place where one lives

PHOENIX

The world around me shifted on its axis, my eyes aching as colours blurred to dark blues and purples. My grip tightened on Nova's limp body, like it would ground me from falling out of Gaia's teleportation.

My knees buckled when I landed on solid ground, my breath whooshing out of my chest. Blinking through the daze, I found we were in my pack hospital. The few people around us stared wide eyed, and I growled at them to drop their gazes. Nurses hurried, calling for me to follow them into the Luna's suite.

We rounded the corner into the private Alpha's corner, where only three doors lived. My father had it built when my mother was due to give birth, but it proved a nice place to keep Nova whenever she got into one of her... predicaments.

Kate's scent flooded my nose as she ran into the Luna suite behind me. She and three nurses fiddled with some machines, rushing to get them set up. Gaia had left me without another word, the sound of her energy rush coming from behind me.

"Set her down. We need to get a gown on her so we can attach a heart monitor." Kate rushed.

I nodded, helping to get Nova prepared and ready for testing. Pads were stuck to her chest and back, drips placed into her elbow, a breathing and feeding tube into her nose. Once she they hooked her up to everything Kate needed, we wrapped her into a few layers of blankets and sheets, adjusting the bed so she was at a decent angle of sleep.

"Did she faint or fall asleep?" She asked.

"I don't know." I mumbled.

She mutely nodded, eventually deciding that an induced coma would be best for her to rest and heal all her injuries. She was going to be taken for a full body MRI and CT scan once the initial checks were done, to see if there was any internal damage.

I focused on gathering her hair up as a distraction, the hair tie from many days ago still around my wrist. I kept it as a reminder, and now used it to put her hair into a bun. I frowned at the result. Her hair looked more like a pineapple in a bird's nest than an updo. But at least I could see her more clearly.

Her face was paler than normal, the rosiness of her cheeks vanished. The bags under her eyes and sunken cheeks were heart-breaking to see. Bruising covered the left side of her face, meaning she was most likely hit by a right-handed person. My fists clenched at my sides as the images of her being injured conjured in my mind.

When we had dressed her, I had noticed her sunken stomach and blotchy skin, more busies and even scrapes covering her. I wasn't sure what she went through, nor how she pulled through. Her knees and feet were so bruised and cut up, Kate said she'd need a few stitches in places if she didn't heal them.

"She has some strange markings on her rib cage." Kate murmured. "Something greater than human skin has bruised and cut up her skin. It's all the way down her side, her thigh and on her shoulder."

I frowned, looking at the diagram she had drawn of Nova's injuries. It was like a dot to dot picture.

"What do you think it was?" I asked, trying to hide my wolf's agitation.

She avoided eye contact, knowing it probably was going to anger my wolf further. "I'm not sure. Hopefully, she is well enough to speak when she wakes."

"How long do you plan on keeping her under?"

"Just a couple of days. Until her body heals enough."

"I shall speak to one of the other Lycans. Maybe they can help?"