2

Rachel's POV:

If I knew it was going to be this warm, I wouldn't have packed all this stupid shit.

I threw the black turtleneck across our bedroom, landing directly in Tate's lap. She sat up from her bed, unfolding the material and looking at me with confusion.

" What did this ever do to you?" She asked, smirking as she placed her laptop on her bedside table.

Her long hair was tied up in a ponytail draped over her shoulders. She wore a black cropped top with a pair of sweatpants, her legs now tucked underneath her.

" I don't know why we thought it would so cold here, it's fucking June here and I'm sweating," I complained, holding up a grey hoodie from my luggage.

It had been 3 days since we landed in Birmingham and neither of us had unpacked yet. The bedroom was a disaster with clothes scattered on the floor and our beds at an awkward angle. This isn't exactly what I had hoped when I decided to make the move with Tate, but I assume it'll get better with time. A one-bedroom was cozy when you really thought about it. We had rented the apartment online already furnished, which was perfect considering we only came here with one bag of luggage each. Something about starting over fresh sounded appealing at the time, but now as I look through the pile of sweaters in my lap; I disagreed.

Tate stood up from her bed, which was across the room from where I was sitting on the dark hardwood floor. She dug through her open luggage before finding a pair of jean shorts. She pulled out a short black skirt from the top of the clothing pile, tossing it at me.

" Kind of our fault for thinking Birmingham rains 24/7. Let's go shopping and we'll stop looking like overheated tourists."

She had a half-smile while walking out of the room, tugging her hair from a ponytail to a high bun. I dug through my shirts until I found a black bralette to go with her leather skirt. I slipped out of my sweats quickly with relief. Before exiting the bedroom I glanced at the skinny standing mirror propped in the corner, brushing my fingers through my black hair. A brown flannel sitting on the dresser in her corner of the room caught my eye. I tugged it on quickly as I heard Tate open the front door.

" Maybe we should text Gemma? She probably knows where all the good spots are." I yelled out from the bedroom.

I heard a sigh from the other side of the wall as Tate shut the heavy oak door. She didn't seem too accustomed to Gemma yet, which I found weird considering she's been of help the past 3 days. After landing in Birmingham, Gemma had given us her number and address if we ever needed anything. Since then, I dragged her along to walk Tate and I through the Birmingham campus. The University was a bit further away than we anticipated, which I wasn't too surprised by when our taxi driver dropped us off in the middle of the city. Our apartment was above a grungy pub that made our floors vibrate at night. I wasn't exactly sure how Tate was going to get any work done around here, but I guess that's an afterthought. We had made our first big step into the UK, regardless of how shitty this building was.

I grabbed my phone off my bed to text Gemma, which I assumed Tate was expecting when she didn't reply back.

Any chance your free today to shop around?

Just out for breakfast with some friends right now, mind if they tag along?

The more the better

Tate stepped into the room, her hand on the doorway.

" Lemme guess, Gemma's got company?"

" Just a few friends. What's your issue with Gemma, anyways? I thought you were all for new experiences." I replied, crossing my arms.