7

Rachel's POV:

" Finally, a moment of peace!"

Tate nodded slowly, sitting beside me at the trunk of an old tree. We had been walking for a few hours now under the hot sun that was still glaring down on us through the shade of branches. The trail wasn't difficult by any means, but I was determined to stop and take as many photos as I could. The woods were beautiful, full of twisted trees that towered above us. We had finally found a quiet spot, isolated from the dozens of families we had passed on the way to get here. I leaned my head against the wood, glancing up at Tate.

" Aren't you glad we came today?"

She smiled, looking up at the swinging leaves above swing above us.

" Yeah, I am, actually. This was a good choice." She seemed at peace, slowly closing her eyes as I watched her chest rise up and down in a deep breath.

She was wearing a white cropped top, a grey flannel tied around her waist. Her knees were brought to her chest, sitting on a distressed pair of light wash shorts. My eyes went to her exposed neck, a few messy blotches of white plastered on her skin. I snickered, making her finally break contact with the shade above.

" So are you going to spill, yet? Or am I going to have to make you?" I asked, knocking her shoulder with mine. She rolled her eyes, pushing me back.

" There's nothing to spill."

" Of course there is! When did you even get a chance to meet anyone, we've been cooped up in the apartment." I felt her get tense beside me, looking down at her fingers.

" Um, after you fell asleep the other night. When the guys left. I went downstairs to the pub and had a couple of drinks." She mutters, not meeting my eyes.

" And?"

" It was nothing, really. Not planning to see him again."

I nodded my head, swinging my arm around her shoulders. She leaned her head into me, letting out a small sigh. She had been dodging the topic all day, so I wasn't surprised when she became more relaxed. She usually wasn't so secretive about things like this, but her demeanour had changed within the past week.

" I'm getting the feeling that's all the information I'm going to get," I replied, feeling her laugh a little.

" Pretty much."

I felt my phone vibrate in my back pocket, distracting me from prying more. I pulled it out with my free hand from the back pocket of my black jeans, suddenly feeling excitement wash over my body. I ripped my arm from behind Tate, now leaning forward on my elbows.

" What is it?" She asked, leaning her face closer to my phone.

" It's Gemma, she messaged me on Instagram." I quickly tapped my fingers across the screen, reading what she had said to me.

Hey!! My phones been fucked for the past week, let's catch up when you're free :)

I looked over at Tate, who looked like she had seen a ghost. She scrambled to her feet, glancing around the empty area we sat in. I shot her a look of confusion, concerned at the rise in her anxiety. She tugged at the sleeve of my t-shirt, gesturing me to stand up.

" What? What happened?" I asked, being pulled to my feet. She gripped my hand, dragging me quickly down the pathway between the trees.

" We're leaving." She replied sternly, offering no explanation. Her pace was quick, eyes darting around the greenery in front of us.

" Why, we were just having fun!" I protested, my feet now skipping on the mulch beneath our feet. I tried to pull my hand away from hers but she just tightened her grip.