11.

December 31st

"god can you believe we're about to go into another year" bradley laughed as her and alex finished cleaning up the table after lunch.
"and i am so not ready for it" alex replied, her voice monotonous.
"hey...you ok?" bradley asked her, eyebrows knitting together.
alex looked up at her "y-yeah just..." she trailed off as she sighed.
"it'll be ok, this new year will be even better than the last"
bradley's smile was so genuine, she seemed so sure of herself that alex almost believed her for a second, but no amount of promises could take her mind off the misery of going back to work after this well needed break.
"anyways, we have the party tonight so let's not get too in our feelings" alex managed to muster a smile as she successful changed the topic of conversation.
"speaking of which...i'm gonna go start getting ready" bradley replied, folding the tea towel she was holding and leaving the room.

they were going to the towns annual new year's eve party at the stately home on the edge of town tonight. pretty much everyone went to this party, and even some people who didn't live in maine went because it was such an extravagant venue.
much to alex's dissapointment and despite her pleading, jennifer didn't feel up to going to the party. she'd been feeling pretty depressed recently, alex knew this was because she was missing matt, and plus she couldn't find a babysitter for the kids so she knew staying home was the only option.
normally alex, jen and alexs male "friend" james often went together. this time however, alex hadn't bothered to respond to james' texts asking if she wanted to go with him again this year.
she had bradley to keep her company through the night of plastic smiles, awkward small talk and heavy drinking.

bradley stood looking at herself in her mirror, smoothing out some creases in her dress before tucking her hair behind her ear and grabbing her phone off the side.
she was wearing a dark green cocktail dress, plunging neckline, tailored to fit her just right, her blonde hair straight.
alex had stressed the fanciness of this party, and fanciness was not this southerners forte but she'd pulled out the nicest outfit she'd packed and managed to make up for her slightly less "feminine" look by making her makeup smoky and alluring.
bradley left her room and headed downstairs and into the living room expecting to find alex waiting for her impatiently, however the room was empty.
she sat down on the sofa and pulled her phone out whilst she waited, messaging laura to say happy new year's eve and wish her a nice evening.
just as she presses send she hears the stairs creaking, alex slowly walking down them.
the sight made bradley's jaw drop open as she took in the dress her co host was wearing.
a sparkling emerald gown; thin straps, sweetheart neckline, cinched at the waist, then flowing out wide just like you'd imagine a princess would wear.
her hair was down in loose curls and her makeup was simple yet elegant.
before bradley even had time to pick her jaw up off the floor alex was stood infront of her feeling very awkward.
"brad your drooling" she giggled lightly, blushing red.
"you look...."
alex raised her eyebrow.
"wow" was all bradley managed to whisper, to which alex laughed loudly.
"it looks like we've done what all the 90s couples did, matching all their outfits" bradley said realising they were both wearing almost the exact same shade of green.
alex nodded before looking at her phone "come on, i've just been notified our car is here to pick us up" she let bradley leave the house first whilst she said bye to jen and grabbed her clutch off the side.

"are you sure i'm not too under dressed? i mean you look like you're about to run through the halls of a castle at night" bradley whispered, making alex giggle.
"i told you, you're fine...i think you look very nice" alex told her for the millionth time.
alex could still tell her on air partner was nervous as she ran her hands up and down her thighs, chewing on her lip as she looked out the window. alex moved her hand and took bradley's in hers, it was clammy with nerves but alex squeezed tightly, smiling reassuringly.