Chapter 14

Angel Valentino

The jacket carelessly slung over the leather couch rustled as it began to fall, the eerie silence in the room made the material's impact on the ground sound much louder than it should have been.

His gaze shifted, eyelids blinking as they adjusted to the clothing on the ground.

Rough move, I thought to myself, as I watched his opponent underhandedly shift the target ball out of his way.

Though his eyes had only drifted for no longer than two seconds, his actions had caused him quite a bit of luck.

His head shifted, eyes darting over to my figure. A skeptical look overtook his face, as he questioned me with his pupils.

He raised his eyebrow for a moment, before fixing his posture, standing straight rather than leaning over the pool table.

He scanned the room, just for a moment, but despite his efforts of not making his suspicions obvious, it was very clear that he was now expecting what he should have expected just a little while ago.

Even the naked eye could see it. His opponent stood near him, just an arm's reach away.

He definitely held his breath, having not expected a sudden reaction out of whom he had thought so far was a bit unintellectual.

Just as I had gotten my hopes up high, I watched as he shrugged his shoulders.

Another mistake, I thought to myself as my tongue clicked against the roof of my mouth, a small bit of disappointment cruising through my mind.

He moved quickly though, falling right back in position as he definitely thought he was wasting his time, but truly he was creating his own downfall as he failed to check for his own surroundings.

With nothing but moments to spare, as he surely counted down in his head, definitely mouthing the seconds faster than they actually pass.

He lined up his shot, hesitating for a moment to fix his cue, until now he hadn't put much mind in his game, I hadn't seen any hesitation until now.

His wrist flicked, following the sharp impact, that reverberated throughout the entire room.

His last striped ball, collided against the delicate felt along the pool table, only then to bounce off the cushion, slowly rolling to the opposite side of the pocket he had aimed for.

With a sharp exhale, a huff escaped his lips, showcasing his disappointment a little too vividly.

The pen settled between my two fingers, which had continued its back-and-forth movements halted, coming to a long-awaited pause.

I waited for his eyes to finally understand his mistakes, but all he could do was look toward me, with nothing but pure confusion and betrayal flooding his eyes.

"You have the attention span of a fruit fly," I sighed, we had gotten absolutely nowhere.

"Which is-" I paused for a moment, searching for the exact words I wanted to say to him.

"Horrible." The truth was all I had to say, I couldn't lie to him, these types of teachings in his life were meant to actually teach him, not to entertain him, we weren't here to entertain him.

His eyes narrowed, as his ears finally listened to my words rather than letting them go in through one and out the other.

The gears in his head finally turned the way I had hoped for all along, as he finally put the dots that were laid out right in front of him together.