Chapter 15

Kehlani Esme

Meanwhile...back in New York.

The tips of my fingers grazed against my skin, and a sudden blink of my eyelids resulted from the action.

A sigh lifted from my lips as I let my hand fall against the bareness of my neck, I kept forgetting that I had lost my necklace at the club last night.

I couldn't help but feel disappointed with myself, how did I not realize I had lost it?

I knew it must have fallen because even I knew that I would have voluntarily given the piece of jewelry to anyone, and if even I had thought about it, I'd only give it to someone I'd spend the rest of my life with, and as of right now, my friends seemed to be the only ones sticking with me until the world ends.

A small shout of my name radiated throughout the room from the mic.

"Miss Esme, considering your family ties here at Aria Pharmaceuticals, do you believe your departure will impact the company's future and dynamics? In a negative manner?" My lips pressed together forming a smile.

"I don't think so, this company has been running longer than any one of the children of Thomas Aria, and even then my st-" I caught myself, as I glanced over at the man sitting next to me at the panel.

"My father," The words stung my soul, as I corrected myself. "Has done a wonderful job maintaining this company." I smiled towards the reporter once more, as he thanked me for my response, before taking a seat.

Out of the corner of my eye, I watched as Mateo leaned forward, placing himself a few inches near the microphones that were planted onto our large panel table.

"Kehlani has dedicated several years here, and her hard work will surely not go unnoticed." He turned to look towards me, offering me a warm smile but all I could think about was how much of a hypocrite he was.

"We are running short on time here, so we'll take one last question." He announced, letting the reporters, journalists, and god knows who else was in this large conference room take the lead one last time.

"Miss Esme," My eyes instantly met the voice that now spoke over all of us through the speakers.

"I'm sure this must have been a hard decision, especially since your family seems quite the supportive type for you-" I smiled harder, and to the media's eyes it might have seemed like I was getting joyful inside hearing such good things about my family, but instead I wanted to burst out laughing.

These bunch of people being supportive?

I think my neighbor's cat is more supportive of me than any one of my family members.

I've heard of mommy issues and daddy issues, but I had entire family issues.

"Were there any disagreements or conflicts that might have happened within your family that contributed to your decision, and if so how did you handle them?" I exhaled a bit, as I shifted in my chair, getting closer to the black microphone.

The question was a classic twist of words, an attempt to see if there was any family drama that had caused me to resign.

And even though there was a whole lot of it that went down just weeks ago. I knew I couldn't possibly tell the truth.

"Of course not," I lied, letting a small bit of laughter rip past my lips.

"When it comes to career choices, our parents are very supportive," Yeah, real supportive I thought to myself as I lied and lied.

"And there were a lot of conversations made regarding this decision of mine, none of them were negative." I lied, again.

These bitches haven't even sent me one text since Angel had nearly made Mateo shit his pants.