Chapter 4

It’s the year 1682 and just as Finn finished tending to his daily tasks, like feeding the animals and picking the crops, he asked his Father If he could go and spend some time in the forest. “I have finished my chores Father, might I go and venture in the woods for the remainder of the afternoon?” asked Finn. His Father stared at him with a look of disappointment, a look Finn had sadly grown accustomed to, but with a reluctant sigh and much to his chagrin, he said yes. He had always wished his Son, his only child, would go out and make friends with the other neighbors' children, especially considering he was already betrothed to one of the village’s most beautiful girls. Finn thanked his Father and burst out of the small kitchen and into the front yard where he waved goodbye to his Mother as she collected the eggs the family hens had carefully laid that morning. 

Finn felt a smile tugging at the corners of his lips while he carefully tried to regain his balance as he walked the length of a moss-covered log, he was used to feeling the soft moss on his feet as he crossed this familiar fallen tree but he never could seem to reach the other side without falling. Everyone knew this part of the forest but Finn was journeying farther than anyone had been willing to go. Finn soon arrived at the most enchanting place within walking distance of his village. The largest lake he had ever seen, which isn't saying much, bearing in mind the only other lake he had seen was the one he and his Father would fish in from time to time. That lake had only grown weeds and rocks, but this one was an oasis and Finn had it all to himself. He carefully knelt down in the long, unruly grass, twisting it between his fingers, he then grabbed a nearby stone and attempted to skip it across the lake. He wound his arm back and right as the rock left his fingers he heard a bang followed by a gale of wind and a rustling in the bushes behind him while the rock he had just thrown made an unceremonious splash in the nearby lake.