CHAPTER 4

As Yuan and Feng entered the hotel, a subtle acknowledgement from the receptionist greeted them, a nod that echoed their prior encounter during the murder investigation. Yuan returned the nod with a measured one of his own, a silent understanding passing between them. His steps carried him to the reception desk, his gaze intent but careful not to raise suspicion.

"Chen Xiu, right?" Yuan inquired in a casual tone, to which the receptionist responded with a wordless nod. Yuan continued, "Can you take us to your security room? I just need to review the CCTV footage from the night of the murder."

Once again, the man nodded, his agreement almost imperceptible, like a hushed secret shared between them. He gestured for Yuan and Feng to follow him towards a medium-sized room situated at the back of the reception desk. Yuan, ever observant, couldn't help but notice the absence of a decoration he distinctly remembered seeing on his last visit—the same day the murder had been reported. His brow furrowed slightly as he directed a pointed question at Chen Xiu.

"Where was the flower vase in that corner?" Yuan asked, extending his finger toward the vacant space. His eyes remained locked on Chen Xiu, poised to catch any hint of a change in the receptionist's demeanor.

Chen Xiu's gaze followed Yuan's gesture, but his response carried an air of indifference. "The public attendants change the flower vase weekly, per the owner's orders. It's a routine," he replied matter-of-factly. With that, Chen Xiu turned the doorknob and swung open the door, revealing the security guard who had been on duty on the night of the murder.

The room's frigid air from the AC caressed the exposed skin of both officers, causing Yuan to shiver momentarily. He quickly scanned the room, absorbing the details within. With a subtle signal to Hua Feng to continue their observation, Yuan retrieved a pen from his side pocket. His questioning tone remained persistent as he pushed for answers.

"Then where's the supposedly new vase? Why is the place still vacant now?" Yuan inquired, undeterred by any perception of pushiness. It was his modus operandi—to persistently ask questions while wearing a facade of innocent curiosity. This approach, he knew, often disarmed people and encouraged them to reveal more than they intended. He sought to uncover their hidden layers, their deepest secrets—their true selves.

Chen Xiu gestured for the security guard, who promptly rose and greeted the officers upon their arrival in the room. Just before he left, he cast one last look at Yuan, who awaited an answer. Chen Xiu explained, "They removed it just a couple of minutes before you arrived. They do it every day at ten-thirty in the morning; you arrived at ten-thirty-four. It takes them at least fifteen minutes to change it, so by the time you're done here, a different vase will probably be in its place."

As Chen Xiu exited the room, the door softly clicked shut, creating a barrier between the chilled interior and the welcoming warmth of the hotel's lobby. Yuan sat down in front of the computer, his thoughts churning as he contemplated Chen Xiu's response. There was something about the receptionist's demeanor that piqued his curiosity, but he decided to reserve judgment for later.

With a composed demeanor, Yuan instructed the operator, Zhu Hui, to retrieve the CCTV footage from the night of the murder. Zhu Hui briskly complied, deftly tapping a few keys on the keyboard until the relevant footage appeared on the screen. Beside him, Hua Feng readied his pocket-sized notebook and pen, prepared to diligently record every detail for their investigation.

"Have you noticed any suspicious individuals in the vicinity the day before the murder occurred?" Yuan inquired, his sharp eyes fixed on the operator beside him. He observed the man's demeanor closely, searching for any signs of reluctance or hesitation.