Chapter 1

I hear the gunshot still ringing in my ear. One second turns into the next. Like the snap of your finger. I feel like the gravity has changed around me. My bones are tied up and I’m extremely cold.

I look to my side to acknowledge what has just happened.

Blood, red as a beet, shimmering in its dark shade. All I can think is to run, run and drop to my knees. My eyes bawling with tears like a stream.

 All I can manage to mutter is “Don’t, Don’t, Don’t do this to me! Please comeback, please!”

I pull out a picture “I love you so much” I kiss her cheek. ”. . . Mom.”

My life is a series of misfortune. But one day that all changed. I’m 17 and my name Kristen Excessum.

After my Mom died last spring, my Dad is drinking. Any time is a tequila time. I usually would say “It’s 3 in the morning.” He would say “Its 9 in the night somewhere.”

I go to school in Salem, Massachusetts.

One summer day I was going to school when phase 1 began.

In my school theirs the jocks, the cheer squad, stoners, and dumbasses and such. Then theirs me, a misfit toy. A misfit toy the cheer squad likes to play with.

 “Hey, fug face!” Britney yells. I turn around and give the finger and walk towards her. “You should eat some of the makeup you always put on your face, maybe just maybe, it’ll make you pretty in the inside.” I say not giving flying shit. She walks away in defeat and I give her my sarcastic cheer smile.

My best friend is Tyler Spiritus, also known as Ty. We’ve been going to school together since kindergarten. When my mom died her agonizing departure he was there. He always knew exactly what to say.

“Hey are those cheer squirrels giving you a hard time? Cause’ I swear I’ll talk to them.” See what I mean!

“Nah, its okay but thanks.” I reply without hesitation because this has happened multiple times. I carry on by going to biology running in to Ms. Manchesa.

I hate her so much she always contradicts me. The best I’ve ever gotten in her class is a B-. When I should be passing with flying colors. I have a theory that she’ out to get me just because my mom was popular and she was a nerd in high school. “Ms. Excessum, what is the meaning of biology?” Ms. Bitch/Manchesa asks me.

“The study of living organisms.” I respond while she gives an awkward face. She knows I’m right. “That divide into special fields, very well.” She says faster than my texting.

Class continued when phase began. There was pain electrifying through my body. Stinging at my fingertips. I knock out while gasping for air. While Ms. Manchesa takes her time calling the paramedics. While everyone rushes I have a vision.

It’s my mom! “Sweetie there is not much time now but I love you. What you’re going through is phase 1 of three. It’ll hurt less and less. My sweet dear, you’re a witch.”