Chapter 16 - So you do like someone!

Chae Rin's POV

"So, how do we start a fire?" Wu Jin asks curiously as I collect other wood pieces that weren't used to write the big SOS sign on the ground.
"Uh, you just need a lot of wood pieces so that it can burn for long, a pointy wood stick and a lot of stamina" I explained looking back at his face.
"Stamina?" He asks confused, I nod with a smile.
"You have to rub the pointy piece against a flat part of the wood, strong and fast enough to make a hole in it and when it starts fuming, you blow, so it creates a flame" I continued.

"So, you mean that you need people that can rub their hands fast?" He asks, I snicker.
"Yes"Looking  back at him, I notice the proximity of our faces and almost immediately turn back to stare at the wood, my face heating up.
"So, who will start?" He asks, I could feel him getting closer to me as his breath now hit my neck giving me shivers.
"Uh... I think On Jo will start" I stuttered slightly, clearing my throat.

"Ya, On Jo!" I hurriedly call onto her as I stride to her side, she looks at me confused, her eyes going behind me as she laughs at my face.
"Why? Got you flustered?" She teased.
"What do you mean? Stop teasing me" The taller one scolded, a blush on her cheeks making the shorter one laugh.

"Let's start the fire, I got you wood" I said pushing the wood into her arms, clearing my throat as I look around for more, my eyes stop though, as I see Cheong San besides Su Hyeok already staring at me.
"What are you looking at, punk?" I mouth at him, a shocked expression on his face.
"Who said I was looking at you?!" He mouths back with a scold, my eyes turn to the side, On Jo still besides me...

Right... he likes On Jo. 
He was likely staring at her instead...

I gulp with a nod, looking at the ground as a train wreck of thoughts crossed over my head. I bit the inner side of my lip preventing me from thinking too much before I looked up, Cheong San's eyes were a mix of confusion, maybe because he didn't understand my feelings... Ignoring the feeling, I headed for Nam Ra who was a little to the side, as everyone sat on the floor gathered around the wood as Nam Ra tried her best to rub the sticks.

"Next" Nam Ra says, hands tired from all the rubbing, Joon Yeong takes over.
"You'll get tired. Slow down" Dae Su advices.
"The fire won't start if he does it slowly" Wu Jin scolded him hitting his arm.
"Do it faster. Come on. Faster. Twist it faster!" Dae Su encouraged instead.

But the pressure to go stronger and faster gave Joon Yeong a cramp.
"Did it cramp?" Dae Su asks him surprised.
"My palms. I can't do it" He sighed
"I'll do it. Step back" Dae Su told them, but the way he was rubbing the stick was way too slow and would never make a fire.
"Should we kill him?" Wu Jin suggests to Joon Yeong who was now besides him.

"Dae Su... Fast!" I complained.
"Are you praying?" Joon Yeong asks annoyed.
"Don't pray... Rub... - Move away" Wu Jin huffed as he took Dae Su's spot.
"It's hard. It won't work" Dae Su shrugs.
"Let me show you how it's done" Wu Jin confidently said, lifting his head up and looking at me.
"I told you, I was good with rubbing" He smirks, my face heating up once more, everyone stared in both shock and confusion.

As Wu Jin rubbed the stick fast, smoke finally started to appear shocking everyone.
"Hey. Smoke!" The boys cheered.
"Su Hyeok!" Wu Jin calls out, for the boy to blow on it.
"Blow. Blow on it already!" Dae Su yells excited.
"Did it catch fire? Su hyeok?" Wu Jin asks, a hand on his back, but he sighs cussing as a fire can't seem to start.

"I'll do it" Su hyeok offered, stepping in.
"Ya" Nam Ra says quietly, I look at her, having heard her since I stood beside her.
"Do it faster"
"I have a lighter" She says, I deadpan at her comment.
"Ya!" she calls louder this time, everyone turning to look at her.
"Use this" She says taking the lighter out of her skirt pocket, a hand on my mouth as I turn to the side not being able to contain my laugh.