Chapter XXIX

Weiss was dragged by Crane's men.

She couldn't move anything. The fear she felt was paralyzing, and her arms and legs felt numb as the toxin burned at her body from the inside, causing her to slowly lose strength in her muscles.

Crane held her weapon in his hand. He observed it with admiration. It would look great on display.

He set it aside, and turned his attention to Weiss. Her state of fear filled him with adrenaline and excitement, as these kinds of things always did for him. As he stepped up to her, she looked up at him, and started panting heavily.

"Who knows you're here?" he said, his voice demonic in Weiss' perspective.

She shook her head rapidly, her panting beginning to accelerate.

This was the only downside of the dosage he gave her, despite how pleasurable her panic was. "Who knows?!"

Weiss turned away screaming, and curling up into a ball, shaking violently.

Suddenly, the lights went out, leaving the room in darkness. Crane looked away from the terrified Schnee, tugging his mask off.

He smiled. "He's here . . ."

"Who?" one of his men asked.

"The 'Bat-Man' . . ."

They heard the sound of metal clanging in the distance.

"What do we do?"

"What anyone does when a prowler comes around," Crane said. "Call the police."

"You want the cops here?"

"At this point, they can't stop us. But the 'Bat-Man' has a talent for disruption. Force him outside, the police will take him down. Go."

"What about her?" a guard asked, pointing to the shaking Weiss.

Crane looked at her shaking form, and let out a content sigh. "She hasn't got long. I gave her a concentrated dose. The mind can only take so much. Now go."

The guards lifted their weapons, searching for their Bat-Intruder.

"The things they say about him," one of them said, scared of what was coming. "Can he really fly?"

"I heard he can disappear."

Crane smiled, backing into the shadows. "Well, we'll find out, won't we?"

The banging continued, and the guards looked around, waiting for the coming attack. The sounds seemed not to have a set source. One came from one direction, the next came from another. The guards split up to look in the different directions they'd heard the noises coming from.

The noises stopped, and the guards did as well, waiting to hear it again.

A black blur swept down from above, landing next to a guard. Batman grabbed his gun, and knocked him aside, before moving on to the others.

He attacked with incredible speed, beating them to the point where they lost their aura, but holding back to avoid breaking bone. Even when attacked from behind, Batman managed to pull off a counter attack without even turning his head, mostly due to the limits of the cowl.

Crane watched from the shadows, wearing his mask, and getting the toxin ready on his wrist.

Once Batman had taken out the last guard, he lunged from the shadows with an extended arm. But Batman caught him without looking. He tugged off his mask, grabbed his hair with one arm, and held the arm with the toxin in his other.

"Have a taste of your own medicine, Doctor," he growled.

He triggered the toxin, and held Crane's wrist to his nose, where a burst of smoke flew out.