Chapter 3

For hours the five members of the Rivera family sat at the quaint kitchen table, eating Imelda's delicious food as well as conversing what had happened during the last six months during Héctor's absence. Héctor regaled them with tales of all the cities he had been to while touring, the people he had seen and the best and worst shows he and Ernesto had performed. He also bemoaned the fact that for all his promises of future riches, he didn't even earn enough money to bring Coco and Imelda any gifts from his travels. Imelda was quick to reassure him that the money he had mailed to him, and his presence here and now, was enough for them both.

Héctor leaned back his chair content and completely full, even though he didn't eat near enough Imelda had wanted. He lazily peeled an orange and handed slices to Coco as he listened to his wife explain what she and her brothers had been up to as well. "I understand what you're saying, and it's a great idea..."

"But?" Imelda inquired.

"Why shoes? Why not start a candy business? I love the candies you make, so would everyone else!" Héctor looked at Coco for validation, and she excitedly nodded in approval. "Coco agrees!"

"Candies are just quick flashes of pleasure that are gone in an instant. Shoes, on the other hand, are concrete." Imelda rose from the table, as the twins groaned in unison. They knew what was coming.

"A life full of hard work and strife will always show on the feet. It takes superior craftsmanship, quality materials, and a sound work ethic to make a pair of shoes that will lesson that burden. That is where Rivera Shoes will come in. Boots for the field workers with toes of the strongest steel, huaraches for the mothers woven with the softest leather, and dance shoes so soft and light you will feel like you were floating through air! Santa Cecilia deserves have the finest shoes made from its most passionate and strongest citizens!" She finished with a fist over her heart and her chin held high.

Héctor was floored. "Diosa..." he whispered. "That was beautiful."

"Also Senor Guzman is retiring from shoemaking." Oscar said.

"And Imelda wouldn't stop pestering him until he took us all on as apprentices." Felipe added.

"I will never look at shoes the same way again." Héctor gushed, not listening to them. Coco sighed in disappointment: No candy then.

Imelda turned back. "This is just Plan B, however. A backup plan in order to earn some money while you did your tour with Ernesto."

"Might want to make it Plan A, amor." Héctor said.

"Que?"

"Well, like I said, touring isn't for me, and like you said shoes are concrete. I don't know when Ernesto is coming back, and until then maybe it's time I learned a trade instead of dallying off to the plaza everyday earning loose change. I have a family to think of."

Imelda's eyes turned soft and she smiled. "You really want to learn to make shoes with me?"

"I want to do anything with you! Always. Besides, it would be nice to have free shoes that actually fit me for once." Héctor smiled.

"Héctor..." Imelda wrapped her arms around his strong, lithe body and hugged him close. The two together again were a much missed sight for Coco, who smiled and giggled at her parents happiness.

Héctor's face lit up. "Ooh! How about a fireworks workshop instead?" This earned him a slap on the back of the head.

"And then mija, when you reach the last house on your journey, you sing the song one more time. That's when they say 'Si, we have room! Come in!' and that's when you and the other chicos bring inside Mary and Joseph. They have found shelter at last!"