Chapter 7

The four seated Riveras watched the doorway where Héctor stood facing his friend, music partner, and older brother Ernesto de la Cruz. Truth be told they all thought that when Ernesto were to reappear again he would look worse for wear, a shell of the man he used to be. After so many months without communication they had all assumed something bad had had bound to happen to him. But here he was, just as suave and barrel-chested as ever, with his charming smile and the glint of mischief in his eyes.

"My friend," he grinned and held out his hands. "It has been far too long."

Héctor sputtered a little and shook his head. "Too lo-... Too long?" Imelda could see his shoulders begin to tremble from behind and his hand clench the doorknob, as if he was trying to hold himself back. "Ernesto, it's been six months. How could you-... Why?-... Do you have any idea how worried I've been about you?!" he finally shouted.

Ernesto's smug grin finally faded and he had the decency to look a little ashamed. He took a step back as he held up his hands in order to calm his irate friend down. "I'm sorry, Héctor. I've been through, heh, quite the journey since I last saw you."

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't flatten you where you stand?" Héctor growled as he raised a fist.

"Because you would probably end up only breaking your hand?" Ernesto said, his smile back.

Héctor immediately lowered his fist to his chest protectively. "Well... maybe. But still! I thought you were dead Ernesto! I was so- Ah, gracias a Dios!" Héctor's anger instantly faded to relief and he flung his arms around Ernesto and pulled him into a tight hug. "Gracias a Dios! You're alright!"

Ernesto's eyes widened when Héctor had embraced him, but then they softened as he returned the hug. "I am sorry, hermanito. And I'm glad to see that... y-you're alright as well." Imelda squinted a little at the look that passed over Ernesto's face. He almost looked... haunted. Then his eyes turned towards her and the cockiness had returned. "Imelda! How wonderful to see you again!" He then gestured to her full form. "I also see that congratulations are in order." He turned to Héctor and leered. "You didn't waste any time, eh muchacho?"

Imelda bristled a little at that while Héctor chuckled nervously. "Heh, si... Oh Ernesto, so much has happened since I've been home! Come, sit and eat, I'll tell you all about it."

"I also wanted to talk to you about some things, Héctor." Ernesto looked at the dinner spread on the table. "My my, Ensalada de Noche Buena! How very festive... But where's the carne?"

"Oh!" Héctor shrugged apologetically. "Lo siento. Imelda can't stand the smell of meat cooking right now. We've just had to make do-"

"My friend!" Ernesto clapped a large hand on Héctor's back. "I cannot stand to see you not meeting your dietary requirements. A man needs to eat meat! And I know just the place! How about you and me go to Salvador's, for old times' sake? We can talk there!"

"Oh, w-well, Imelda is-"

"Imelda!" Ernesto interrupted. "You don't mind if I steal your husband for the evening, do you?"

Imelda's eyes widened and her face paled. Steal? No... No no no! Not again!

"Stupendo!" Ernesto crowed, ignoring Imelda's obvious turmoil and began to push a weakly protesting Héctor out the door. "Come amigo, we have a lot of catching up to do. Don't worry; I'll have him back in no time!" And with that he slammed the door and left the other four Riveras reeling over what had just happened.

"Mama?" Coco glanced at Imelda with big, worried eyes. "Is Papá leaving with that man again?" Coco vaguely remembered seeing that man with the mustache from a long time ago. The last time she had seen him, her Papá had left with him and was gone for such a long time.