Disaster

Friday 10th April 2015, The family and I are still away in the Dandy Folding camper on the Fylde Coast. As planned a trip to Fleetwood Market and Blackpool so that the kids could spend their money took place and Mrs O proudly announces it's gonna be a scorcher. I look up and think I hope so as it's not what Radio 2's Steve Wright said checking out the BBC Weather App out on my phone. The ride is still on weather looking good on both BBC and Accu Weather Apps "Get In" obviously not said out loud.
Mrs O is not a lover of me cycling to be fair don't blame her in her job, but she knew I was a cyclist when we got together and had a passion (she thinks addiction or problem) for it. I try to explain it is my escape, my time for thoughts, mind clearance, de stresser. I love country roads listening to the sound of tyres on the tarmac, views, smells (OK not the smells) and the sense of achievement looking back at all the hills you've just flogged yourself up and the feeling of satisfaction when you get home and the segment on Strava you have just smashed. Then there is that horrible feeling when your ride is about to end getting home knowing that the kids have been playing up and you just want to carry on for another hour or two. Go on admit it, I'm not the only one to feel this.
Anyway back to Friday Yep for now Sunday is a goer. We make our way back to the campsite after Blackpool via chippy I thought I'd been robbed £18.95 for five sausages two large chips and a fish. After eating the worlds most expensive chips I feel it, temperature dropped and a bit of rain. OK not to worry let's see what happens I tell the kids, secretly thinking "Shiiit, don't do this if it rains now Sunday will be a wash out, it will rain for days". The rain last all of two drops but the temperature remained low. A few games of cards later it was bed time no dramas.
Not long after midnight I'm in that faze of sleep where you can hear yourself snoring but hear everything else too. There it is the sound of a light drizzle. As soon as I think No problem it bounces it down yep the ride could be down the pan here. I get out of bed throw my hoody on just to check all is well in the awning and yeah everything's good and dry, back to bed.
Still having a bad nights kip I must have drifted off but at 5:30am The wind started I thought hmmm need to keep a check on this. Mrs O asks if everything is Ok? I think give me chance to move as I check everything is still OK. I shut the door and see the shadow of something flapping above us and I hear "I'm Scared" not from the girls but the boy. I look outside and dont see the roof of the awning but I see rain and the awning trying to disappear. The wife said What's going on? I reply Nowt just Kite surfing. Get the kids in the car and we will sort this lot out. An hour later on our way home via a famous establishment beginning with "M". My hope is still good for Sunday weather now fine.
After tea the dreams of a Sunday ride nearly disappeared, the boy has to be at rugby for 9am. I think if he's at home I'll just say to the wife "I'll meet you there when I've dropped the girls off. I'll ride up to Ormskirk have a brew with you and ride back". No he is paying at Vale Of Lune my Sunday morning ride has become a distant dream. It's deffo gone Sunday morning looking outside. Peeing it down one hell of a wind.