City Ward Incident

Chapter II: The City Ward Incident

The next morning was cloudy, the sun hidden behind grey clouds, the sky grey as well. It felt like there'd be rain, sooner or later. Jade was wandering over the market place looking at the different market stalls; she had repaid Kaitlin's expanses from the night before that morning and was now out to get some fresh air. In the corner of her eye she saw Lyana again who was currently sneaking up behind a small group of guards. It was the highest officer she was sneaking closest to, her hand outstretched to grab something from him. When he turned she froze and stood straight and backed away a few feet before she turned and ran off. Directly in Jade's direction. She ran into Jade making them both stumble around trying to not hit the cobble stones of the market.

Lyana just grabbed Jade's hand and pulled her with her, rushing through the crowd of Corronda's citizens who protested and yelled after them. Looking over her shoulder she saw that a whole guard squad was following them. They took off over the bridge to the other side of the river, running along the small alleys and along the streets leading towards the orphanage.

The guards yelled behind them, clamouring loudly for them to stop where they were and to capitulate immediately. The sound of their heavy boots echoed through the small alley ways. Both of them jumped each time a shot went past them, the sound loud and almost ear-piercing so close to them.

"Where are we going? And why did you take me with you?!" Jade yelled as the passed the orphanage taking turns and running for the direction towards the bridge again.

"I don't know; somewhere. We need a distraction that will last long enough!"

"But why do I have to come with you?"

"You don't have to!"

"You're still holding my wrist in a very tight grip so no going anywhere on my side!"

"I'm sorry ok? I just... you stood there and I didn't see you." Lyana came to a halt in a smaller alley than those from before, after checking that the guards weren't following them anymore.

"What were you even attempting to do there?"

"I was trying to get the officer's sword."

"And why would you try to steal the city ward officer's sword?" Jade's voice rose slightly at the end.

"Because I know how much value it has and I just want it, okay."

"Doesn't explain why you had to drag me with you!" Jade shook her head and looked up and over Lyana's shoulder.

Her eyes widened in shock and Lyana was about to speak when Jade, this time, grabbed her hand and pulled her with her, aiming for the bridge to go back to the other side of the river. With a quick look over her shoulder Lyana saw what had made Jade grab a hold of her and hurry off. The guards were back and now they were a dozen and not only a small group of four or five that patrolled the market place on the market days.

A few feet away from the bridge they took a turn into an alley and both cursed at the dead end in front of them. They turned around slowly at the dying down sound of heavy boots on the cobble stones. The city ward officer stood in front of them, arms crossed and a scowl on his face, his squad of guards behind him.

"You're arrested. The both of you are."

"What? You cannot do that. I didn't do anything!"

"You be quite, little burglar!"

The guards put them in handcuffs and Lyana stared at Jade who she had just found out was a burglar, a thief. She had wondered the day before why the men would suspect a woman like her to be cheating. Jade knew her way around sneaking things out of somewhere or taking them from a person. With a sigh she just followed the men as well as Jade.