Poppet

A few months later Lyana and Jade stood in front of a small castle, talking and organizing the last bits of the evening. It was a cold night, the sky clear with the stars and moon shining bright against the dark sky. It was the night of a big gathering of high councils, loyalty and the aristocracy of Corronda and the ones of around. Fenris had to stay with Flora for the evening since he'd been too much of a distraction. Flora wasn't happy what they were about to do but there had to be sacrifices. She let them stay with her partially after what had happened those weeks ago and now they wished to repay her somehow.

"But why do I have to wear this... piece of... something?" she tugged at her sleeve a bit disgusted.

"Because you my dear suck at stealing."

"I do not!"

"Yes, you do. Do I have to remind you of the city ward's commander?"

"No, please not this old incident again" Lyana wailed as she thought about the incident that happened like months ago.

"Then shut up" Jade hissed, gritting her teeth and pulled at the corset's strings "and act like the daughter of an overseas Earl, who is in town for the new... I don't know... think of something. You know what's new in every town we are in."

"And if there isn't anything?" Lyana gasped for air, shooting an evil glare over her shoulder.

"Then... maybe you're here for a future proposal you don't know about."

"Why can't I just dress as a waitress like you do?"

"'Cause I need a distraction. Which will be you." Jade fastened the strings of Lyana's corset and made Lyana inhale sharply.

"Are you trying to fucking murder me?"

"No, the tailor told me woman in this area would wear dresses like this."

"These women don't need air, as it seems."

"Stop complaining like a little child. You have to act serious tonight. We need the money, thanks to your fucking swords. By the way I almost tripped over on of the bloody things this morning."

"Not my fault if you can't watch where you are going. And I still don't think this is a good idea."

Jade glared at Lyana while she fixed her red hair into a high bun like all waitresses would be wearing tonight. She smoothed out her white button up shirt she stole out of Flora's armoire. Fastening up her black waistcoat she looked over to Lyana who had trouble to put on her high-heeled shoes. Besides typical waiter attire composed of the white shirt and black waistcoat, Jade wore a pair of black silk-like trousers with flared legs and high-heeled black ankle boots. A black leather belt with big silver buckle held her pants in place. The waistcoat had two side pockets with silvery chains attached to them, one of the chains held a pocket watch placed in one of the pockets. Jade checked the time and looked up to see that Lyana was finally ready.

The dress she had picked out for Lyana fitted her really nice. It was crimson red made of a fabric similar to velvet. The corset was slightly darker than the rest of the dress made of some stiff fabric that almost felt like sateen. The sleeves were loose and got tight around the elbows, it made them almost look slightly puffy. The dress' rim dangled around Lyana's ankles. Jade had convinced her to wear high-heeled sandals to match the length of the dress perfectly. They were made of a coal like colored leather being a nice contrast to the red of the dress.

"You still are going to distract some of the noblemen so I can pick their pockets." Jade rolled up her sleeves fastening them with an attached string of fabric and button.

"Urgh, alright. But you owe me big time."

"Yadda yadda yadda. I'll think about it. Now move your ass in there." With those words Jade shoved Lyana through the big wooden doors into the ball room.