Chapter 3

A.N- Hey there everyone! Sorry for the really late chapter! I've been so busy getting everything in for school and such...I hope you enjoy this chapter! Although it is shorter than my others...Please give me your feedback! Constructive criticism is greatly appreciated!!!!

          The weekend couldn’t have come any sooner. I was so grateful when Beth had wanted me to sleep over at her house Friday night. It was just the thing to get my mind off the whole Mom situation. And I was planning on telling Beth about Mom dying. Dad said he expected me to tell Beth, so I guess it was alright.

          I brushed my cheek with my right hand softly. There was a slight red mark, that will surely go away by tonight. There was a slight purpling color starting to form, but cover-up never worked better. I smiled, nothing was wrong, just a lot of emotions going around right now. Nothing to worry about at all!

          “Dad I’m going to Beth’s! Be back tomorrow!” I paused at the door before I heard a muffled and somewhat angry reply.

          “Don’t be late; we have some more stuff to go over.” Dad was in his study again, looking over the finalized details for the funeral. I shuddered, the house freaked me out. Having to walk by and looking at places where she was standing yesterday. She was standing in the kitchen being alive with the colors in her cheek and her hair done ready for work. She didn’t seem like she wanted to die, much less anytime soon.

          It just happened sooner, than actually later. When did that line become so frequent? I shrugged it off, I’m imagining things. That memory happened so long ago, I could have been making up my own dialogue for all I knew. But no matter how much I told myself that, I knew I wasn’t imagining it. I knew that’s what Mom had said, because that was one of the things Mom had said so often.

          It was nice having your best friend live right next door. If you forgot anything, you could walk right back over. Although we never did that, because that would defeat the purpose of having a sleep over. What was the point in going over to someone’s house when you could just go back and get whatever you wanted from your house? It was like having a camp-out in your backyard. Why sleep outside when you can get everything that was inside?

          I knocked on the oak door and Beth immediately opened the door, since I called her right before I left. I know there’s no point, since I would be there two minutes later, but it was a ritual we used to do as kids and it stuck ever since.

          “Hey!” I breathed. It was relaxing being away from your own home every once in a while.

          She stepped aside so I could enter. “We have to go to the store, to get some groceries and stuff for tonight.” Beth wrapped a scarf around her neck. I dropped my things off in the foyer, and kept my shoes on. Taking that she was getting ready meant we were going right now.

          Beth already has her license, and her own car. But it’s only because she’s the oldest, and she has to take her younger siblings to daycare and soccer practice. We hustled to the car, not wanting our body heat to evaporate off of our bodies.

          “For September, it sure is damn cold!” Beth exclaimed. We jumped in the car and Beth blasted the heater. It warmed my face and hands and made my cheeks rosy from going to cold to hot so fast.

          The store wasn’t that far away. It was just down the street and on the left there it was. We pulled into the market and ran to the doors. Panting, I took a basket and started hunting through the aisles for ideal snacking and breakfast foods. Beth walked beside me, adding things every now and then that were foreign to both of us. She was adventurous, and likes trying odd snacks; I however like to stick to my Twizzlers and Coke.