ten| 𝐔𝐏 𝐅𝐎𝐑 𝐀 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐍𝐆𝐄

Johnny cracks open a beer and looks down on us. It's eight in the morning and I can hardly keep my eyes opened. I nearly crashed on my way to this junkyard, Miguel had to steer for me a few times.

"You've trained hard. You've gotten stronger, tougher, faster. You've done your best. You're ready for this tournament, am I right?"

"Yes, sensei!"

"Wrong!" he yells and throws his beer can at the ground in front of my feet. The liquid splashes up onto my calves, soaking through my pants.

"These are new leggings." I groan, trying to wipe the pale green skin-tight fabric with the sleeves of my sweater.

"Your best ain't shit," Johnny lectures, "If you wanna win the All Valley Under-18 Karate Tournament, you gotta give me better than your best. Which is why from now on, you're gonna get my worst. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sensei!"

"Are you losers?"

"No, sensei!"

"Are you nerds?"

"No, sensei!"

"Are you sure?"

I think carefully and don't reply while everyone else yells, "No, sensei!"

Johnny facepalms and I look up at him, "It's too early for this shit."

---

"Move those feet. Go, go, go!" Johnny orders as Miguel, Hawk and I step through the obstacle course of tires.

"Keep your knees up, Fleur!"

"What?" I look at him, which distracts me and causes me to run into Hawk.

We both fall and I land on top of him before quickly getting up.

"I didn't know you were so eager to touch me." he says with a smirk. I roll my eyes and he helps me up.

"Fornicate on your own time, germs! Again!" Johnny yells at us.

---

"Your enemies are all around you. Destroy them!"

I tighten my grip on the pipe Sensei gave me and waste no time smashing it against the back window of a junk car.

---

I nervously stare at the wooden plank in front of me laid on top of a dumpster full of scrap metal and broken glass.

"Come on, Turtle, we ain't got all day!"

"Ok, I'm going." I wearily reply.

"Pretend Hawk's with some other girl and you have to get to the other side to stop it." he suggests.

---

"You wanna win, you gotta be hungry. You guys hungry?" sensei asks while handing us each a piece of beef jerky.

"Yes, sensei!"

"Good. 'Cause so are they." he simply says before blowing into a whistle that lets out no sound.

"What's he talking about?" Miguel whispers to me.

"You know as much as I do." I shrug before hearing multiple dogs barking. "For fuck's sake Johnny!"

We all disperse and climb on top of various cars to try and escape the vicious canines snapping at us.

"Don't be afraid, they smell fear!"