Chapter 3

Steve gave her a tour of the facility. They started in the training area, where she had seen Barnes. She steeled herself to see him again, to look into those cold blue eyes. But he was nowhere to be seen. The huge area covered different kinds of training opportunities, including a boxing ring. Steve also told her about a pool on the level below them.

Next, they entered a dark hall. Along the dark walls, six doors led into special rooms. Huge windows with safety glass offered a glimpse into the interior. In one of those rooms, Eva caught a glimpse of a female figure.

"Those rooms can be tuned to different abilities," Steve said. "It will help you concentrate and test your limits without being a threat to others."

The woman inside the room had her back on her and Steve. But what really caught her attention were the levitating objects that circled her. Taking a closer look, she also noticed that the woman's feet barely touched the ground. Her dark corkscrew curls floated too, defying the physical laws.

"Nico is Impressive, isn't she?" Steve said next to her.

There was something about the way he said those words. Admiration? Could it be that Steve Rogers harbored feelings for the woman behind the glass? A small smile tugged at the corner of her lips.

"So," she began. The small smile spread into a sly grin. "You are screwing her?"

Steve's head turned so fast it was comical.

"Oh, come on, Rogers," Eva teased, clapping his shoulder. "That dreamy look is hard to overlook."

Steve didn't respond to her comment, and instead led her to the next level. The main area included a lounge area next to the conference room, a small kitchen area attached, a round table capable of projecting holograms, and several bookshelves. She spotted several little areas that must have been adjusted to the people that lived in the compound.

Separated by a bookshelf, a cozy corner harbored an old record player and a comfy looking chair. Probably Steve's. He loved listening those old 40's songs.

A window front that covered the whole wall offered the view into the atrium, filled with trees and plants. In the corner she saw a small fireplace surrounded by several chairs and benches. It looked inviting.

"For the time being, each of you is designated your own private quarters while living at the facility."

"How many recruits are there?" Eva asked.

"Three others. They joined the program a month ago, but I'm sure you'll catch up pretty quickly," Steve said, smiling. "The main area is at your disposal. We use it for discussing operations and downtime. But keep it clean."

He walked into another hall next to the kitchen, and stopped in front of the second door to their left.

"This will be your room," he said, opening the door for her to enter. "You can do whatever you like with it."

She entered and took a quick look. A big room that was divided into two areas by a room divider, consisting of several wooden planks that were anchored to the ceiling and were 4 inches apart. It kept the room light and spacious. The first half of the room consisted of a two-seat couch and a TV on the wall. On the other side of the room divider stood a king-size bed and a small walk-in closet. A huge window covered most of the opposite wall, revealing a beautiful view of the nearby forest.

"The bathrooms are at the end of the hallway," Steve said, who didn't enter with her, but kept standing outside with Nico.

"Should any problems arise, you can come to us. There will always be someone here and available as a contact person, even if your assigned partner is currently on a mission," he said further.

"Assigned partner?" she asked, confused.

"We're having a small, motivational competition," a clear, feminine voice said behind them. As soon as Steve and Eva turned, she said, "Each recruit got assigned to one of the Avengers. In every mission and training, we get points. The duo with the most points by the time Christmas comes around will win."

Eva arched an eyebrow. "What's the price?"

"A brand-new suit, designed by Mr. Stark himself." A moment later, a woman stepped into view. It was the same woman they watched in the special room. "I'm Nico."

"Eva," she said, then turned to Steve. "I don't need a suit."

Eva caught a silent exchange between the two, a private conversation that she wasn't invited to. Instead, Eva took the time to get a closer look at Nico. She was tall for a woman. Her lean, athletic figure indicated hours of training. Dark locks framed her face, contouring her cheekbones, full lips, and dark eyes. Nico wore simple blue denim, a dark blue blouse, and a long cardigan with matching sneakers. Her posture was the only indicator of Nico's being a fighter.

"Do you guys want to join me for dinner?" Nico said, looking between Steve and Eva.

"I have to meet Nat in the conference room. But you both go ahead and have a nice evening," Steve said. His gaze lingered a bit too long on Nico. Very interesting.