Chapter 4

The genovisians where captured in a couple of days. They where brought into custody and Jenny could return home.
Jenny and Will where talking at a table in her pub.
Will had something on his mind and Jenny, who grew up with him, could sense it.
"Will, tell me what's on your mind."
Will looked at her and thought for a moment.
"The girl, Helga, what do you know about her?" Will asked.
Jenny did not expect that question.
"Well, she's a really sweet girl, she's hardworking. She lives with her uncle. But he's been very sick for some time and she's working here to make enough money for herself and her uncle." Jenny thinked while talking.
"And she's fifteen?" He asked her.
"Yes, her birthday was a little while ago."
"Hm.."
Jenny was a little confused, where was this coming from? Why was Will interested about Helga?
Will stood up.
"Thank you Jenny, I need to go now. I have something to do.
Will waved and left.

Later, when he was home, he waited on his porch and his dog, Onyx waited with him. He was expecting someone.
After a while, a figure riding on a horse was coming their way. Tug greeted the other horse.
Will stood up and welcomed Halt.
" Come in, I made Coffee." Will said and gestured for Halt to come in.

They were sitting at the table, drinking coffee while discussing the genovisians case.
"It won't be that hard to get them to say who they're working for. We know how to make them talk." Halt said.
"Hmm" Will said, looking distracted.
Halt, who had known Will for a long time, knew when he wasn't telling him something.
"There was another reason you called some here, wasn't it?" Halt said.
"Hmh- wait? How did you know?" Will asked the older ranger surprised.
"Because you usually listen to me when I talk." Halt said with a bit of sarcasm in his voice. He wondered what distracted Will.
"I'm sorry Halt. You know I've been talking about getting a new apprentice."
"Yes, you've told me. Have you found a fitting one?"
"Actually, I think so. It's a kid here from Redmont actually."
"And you want me to tell you what I think?"
It wasn't really a question, more like a statement.
"Yes, want me to tell you about them?"
"How else am I supposed to have an opinion?" But yes, what's his name?" Halt asked.
"It is a her actually." Will corrected him.
"Her name is Helga."
Halt raised an eyebrow.
"Isn't that the girl who warned us about the genovisians?"
"Yes, exactly." Will answered. "I've actually been watching her for a while. I noticed that she can appear from nowhere in a moment. She already knows how to sneak around in the shadows and is hard working. I think that she could become a great ranger."
"She sounds like a great apprentice, so why are you not sure?" The older ranger asked.
"Well, I actually don't know, I guess I just wanted your opinion."
"Well, I think you should take her on as your apprentice." Just send a letter to Gilan".
"I will, thank you Halt."

Later that day, Will sent a letter to Gilan about it. He was happy that he got Halt's approval. The ranger cared about his old mentors opinion.
But there was actually another reason why he was hesitant. Something felt off. His senses told him that there were something important about the younger girl.
Something that she didn't tell him.
He was going to pay Helgas uncle a visit the next day.