020. CARPE DIEM.

CHAPTER TWENTYcarpe diem

CHAPTER TWENTY
carpe diem

⋆*✧・゚:⋆*・゚:*✧・゚:*✧・゚:

WHEN NADINE WOKE up the next morning, it was as if she'd been hit by an airplane. Her muscles ached like she'd participated in a particularly grueling workout, her heart was beating like the wings of a hummingbird, and a migraine coalesced at the center of her forehead, throbbing with every breath she took. As she extracted herself from Molly's arms (to no one's surprise, she was still asleep), her stomach curdled. It only took her a second to realize what it was, and so, despite the newfound twinges in her body and the throb of her still-healing wounds, she burst out of the room and headed down the hallway towards the bathroom.

She had just managed to flip up the lid of the toilet before the champagne she'd had last night came back up. It left a disgusting, sour taste in her mouth as she retched, and she sank to her knees, trembling and sweaty. Fuck, she was an idiot. She really shouldn't have partaken in the drink session last night. But she'd been having so much fun with the others, and had wanted to forget, at least for a little while, about the end of the world.

Her slightly dizzy mind shot her through with a hazy memory—of stumbling back here late last night, only to receive an invitation from Reginald Hargreeves to meet him for dinner. One hand went to her pocket, where she swore the letter had been. There was nothing in there but her cellphone.

She threw up again, but it was mostly bile this time. As she flushed the toilet, letting the remnants of last night's indulgence swirl down the drain, a knock suddenly sounded at the door. Molly's slightly muffled voice came wafting through.

"Nads? You all right in there?"

Using the toilet to stabilize herself, Nadine rose shakily to her feet. "I'm okay," she said, moving towards the sink to wash out her mouth. "Just... euh... had too much to drink last night."

"I figured," Molly replied. "When I came in here last night, you were out like a light. Here, take a shower. I brought you clean clothes. And I'll make you some toast. It soaks up the alcohol, you know."

After rinsing her mouth and spitting it back into the sink, Nadine smiled weakly. "Thanks, Molls," she said, stumbling towards the door. "You know, I'm surprised you're up this early. I thought you'd be sleeping at least another few hours."

Molly laughed as Nadine pulled the door open. She was still in her pajamas, but she held a bundle of Nadine's clothes in her arms. "Normally I would, but everyone's up. I think the others are in the living room. No sign of Five, though."

Another memory locked into place; Nadine's vow that if Five didn't show up today, she'd take Molly out on a date. Although she still felt like shit, she resolved to see if it was possible. Of course, she'd have to tell the others about the invitation she'd received (which, hopefully, was still around), and it was likely that they would spend the day trying to figure out what to do, but there still was a slight chance of freedom. After all, Molly really had done so much for Nadine. Even now, she was taking care of her. She deserved a day where she was the one taken care of.