Medic!

Yet another painstaking day on the job as a guard scum. No one would save the first battalion; they were always made up of rookie different raced soldiers. Nothing more than bait. “what’s that sharp pain in my leg...” she pondered but not daring to look down. The flush of blood loss made her vision blurry but defeat or giving up wasn’t in her vocabulary. She kept going through the muck and thick air, even though she couldn't stand anymore. She winced in pain, never breaking her stride for victory. The cold water squelched in her tattered boots, but her socks stayed bone dry. It became harder to be coherent with every step, but a hand-scooped her upright as she almost fell. She tried to see where or who this hand was, but her vision went black as she turned. After what hours felt like moments, Delilah's gaze met a harsh smile that gleamed down at her. She tried to make out the face, but she failed heavily. Pain stabbed her harshly before she winced in pain.

“H-hello?” her voice ran shaky with confusion, but curiosity marked a tone. Her hand followed up at her side, ignoring the pain she touched her face to ensure her mask was still up. ‘Good... I don’t need a stranger prodding and poking at me' she thought, never a dull moment in her mind.

“Hello, miss... I uh saw you out on the field and you hurt, and I couldn’t let you just stand there and die... I’m sorry if this isn’t the nicest medic bay but it’s dry and clean- well kind of.” He mumbled unsurely, wary of how she would react. A cold violent wind weaved through the rickety old shack; shivers were visibly sent up Delilah's back. The kind tall stranger noticed and threw a scratchy blanket over her, making sure to carefully tuck in her sides so she wouldn’t freeze. She looked at him with a shutter of longing, but she quickly put a holt to this ridiculous feeling. She was too stubborn to let herself feel such weak emotions. He shyly smiled at her, he saw the conflict in her eyes and offered her his hand.

“Well, it’s best I take you to the medic bay on the other side of town. I know they are slightly suspicious, but you must get these wounds seen too. Let us get you back onto the field…?” he stopped expectantly.

“D-Delilah… and yourself?” she stammered. She hated using full names and without even hesitating or thinking she mentally nicknamed the tall, built and well-statured man, standing timidly in front of her trying not to scare her.

“Wallaby the great! I’m quite a known front linesmen I’m surprised you are unaware of me” the smug voice laid thick with confidence. As he announced his last words, he slipped on the oh-so-dry floor he claimed to have, and he stumbled before looking back up to Delilah with an unsure smile.

She shook her head and smiled. As she stood up, she clutched her side and groaned. As the stubborn girl still insisted on getting up, Wallaby let her but with a very watchful eye. They started to slowly walk towards the door, Delilah felt weak and grabbed for Wallaby’s arm. The moment of tension hit them, everything went quiet, and the eye contact felt like it had lasted forever…

“Ahem… uh we- we should probably get you to the medic now” Wallaby broke the silence.
snapped out of the trance and shook her head while looking down. She felt her heart flutter, but her brain was simply embarrassed. She let go slightly but he pulled his arm and her hand against him as if he didn’t want her to let go. The two walked in silence before striking up a conversation and talking endlessly. The two chatterboxes talked the others ear off up to the rickety old medic tent. The pair looked up and realized they had walked across town talking and giggled. As she entered the tent, Wallaby or the newly nicknamed “Wally” had a pain in his chest. He didn’t trust the Rock medic to take proper care of her, but he had no other choice. Sitting down leaning against the tent, he slowly dozed off.
Meanwhile, in the tent, Delilah slowly stepped into the crowded tent, being careful to not bump into anyone or anything. She looked around for the marked personal, clutching herself before heavily breathing. The pain set in as she looked around and her stress levels raised immensely. Her eyes darted around before catching the eye of a young nurse. The lady marked in all red moved quickly around the room before sitting Delilah down and tending to the leaking blood from her leg.