Chapter 14

Monday came and prom drew nearer by the tick on my watch. I was here again on my comfortable spot, this time skipping Math. I inhaled the fresh scent of the air and close my eyes, hoping to clear my mind from thinking of prom.

The thought of my conversation with River came into my mind.

☺☺☺

I was going through my locker when River banged his hand on the locker beside me. The sudden and loud noise made me jump.

"Why didn't you call?" He asked with a serious tone.

I gulped. "I didn't have anything to say." I continued going through my locker.

He snorted and rolled his eyes, being not so amused. "Hard to believe."

I took out what I was finding in my locker and stuffed it in my bag. I closed its door then faced him. "How would you know?" I threw my backpack over my shoulder.

He smirked. "Believe me. I know."

I frowned then walked pass him and he followed my trail. I thought it was alright since we were both in the same homeroom class.

Once we got to our classroom, I took my usual seat which was at the back, near the window. Window seats were always my favorite and I always took the back seat since I was far-sited.

I noticed a guy sit next to me. It was River.

I shifted in my seat to face him. "Why are sitting next to me? Vanessa sits there."

My seatmate, Vanessa approached us, spotting River on her chair.

River looked from me to Vanessa and asked, "Can I sit here for just this day?" He smiled sweetly.

I saw Vanessa's face turning pink. "Sure, go ahead. I'll just take your seat then." She waved at us then went to the front window seat.

River turned to me then grinned. "Problem solved."

I crossed my arms. "Before Friday, we were strangers. And now you're sticking to me."

"Come on. We weren't really strangers."

"You hardly ever talked to me." I looked away.

"Never had a chance to."

"Really now?" I frowned at him then sat straight. He continued to stare at me, making me feel cautious.

"Why didn't you call?" He asked again.

"I don't just call strangers." I gave him a fake smile then looked in front, seeing Mrs. Costa enter the room.

He chuckled. "I don't believe that." I felt him sit up straight and from the corner of my eye, he watched as Mrs. Costa prepared for class. "No way you wouldn't know me completely." He whispered to me.

I snorted. "Well, too bad. I only started to get to know you after you asked me to be your date."

"Really." He was smiling.

"Yes, really." I flipped my hair behind my shoulder.

"That's a first." He murmured.

☺☺☺

I was wondering what he meant by the last statement. Our conversation kept repeating inside my head. Out of nowhere, I thought came into my mind. River was such a mysterious guy.

I heard faint footsteps. "Knew I'd find you here." A familiar low voice said.

My eyes flew open. "Blake."

He smiled then ran to sit next to me. "This time you're skipping math?" He chuckled.

"It's boring." I rolled my eyes. "Did you come here to scold me?"